Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BPS Pro Qualifier spool tension
I've used my new BPS Pro Qualifier baitcaster 3-4 times with no major problems. Its my 1st baitcaster. My problem is I can't create a backlash. I also can't cast very far. It seems like the spool tension knob won't loosen properly. I've loosened it so much it unscrewed. I have the braking dial at 0 and all the internal magnets in. I tried the dial at 10 and the internal magnets out with no major effect.

I hope its not typical to have to tear apart a new real to clean and relube. Do I have to take it back to BPS or is there an easy fix?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Not quite sure what the problem is, however there are several YouTube videos describing this reel. Then again you might have a faulty reel. Also might want to call the manufacturer to describe the problem. That would be my first course of action.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I watched a couple of videos showing the reassembly of the reel. That's why I don't want to take it apart - there are too many pieces!

Taking it back to Bass Pro is probably the smart thing to do but I bought it online with a store pick-up. And its past their 30 day no questions warranty.

Is it correct that when the tension spool is backed out all the way that the spool should nearly free-spool? When I try to pull the line out very quickly by hand with the tension knob all the way out, it still won't backlash. The spool overruns only about 1/4 turn. Max cast distance is about 20' - 30'.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Just pulled out my Shimano CU-200BSF reel and just looking at it will create a back lash. lol. I find that when the correct tension is applied a lure will very slowly drop to the floor. If adjusting the thumb knob or drag wheel has no effect then its time for a replacement. Wouldn't dare take it apart as that might void your warranty[/size][/#008000][/font].
[signature]
[quote Dryrod][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] just looking at it will create a back lash.[/size][/#008000][/font].[/quote]

I appreciate the help and humor. I've contacted the store to see what they want me to do. Since i'm new to baitcasters, I was hoping someone would say to properly release the spool tension, unscrew the knob while standing on one leg and it will work. Or something like that.
[signature]
[center][font "Tahoma"][#008000][size 3][:/]Well, so what did they say?[/size][/#008000][/font][/center]
[center][font "Tahoma"][#008000][size 3][size 3]BTW as a fly fisherman, we never have an issue with a reel. U[size 3]nless we caught a monster fish and the drag is too weak to hold the sucker.[/size][/size]
[/size][/#008000][/font][/center]
[signature]
They said to bring it back and they'd exchange it. But I read the manual and lubed it per instructions and it seems to be working again. I should have lubed 1 area at a time and tested it to find the problem area. The lake is half the distance as the store so I think I'll give it another shot. Its only a month old and not used that much.

As for fly reels, simple reels = simple minds? [Wink]

Just kidding. But I'm using bait on Lake Mead the size of the trout I caught in north Idaho. I threw my share of flies up there.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Glad to hear that you got it working. What is surprising is that you had to lube a brand new reel. I don't recall the last time I lubed a reel no less a new one. Se La Vie. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
something to keep in mind with a bait caster also, is the weight of your lure. Very light lures don't cast well out of a bait casting rig. I've always preferred a quality spinning reel over a bait caster, and always will. they produce double the drag and are easier to use and more versatile. And i'll note that, i can cast a bait caster with the best of them, just find spinning equipment to better suit my needs.
[signature]