Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woolly buggers on lost creek
[Smile]Today was my first trip out on my toon this year (actually since Oct 2011) and had a great time. It was a brisk 35 when I arrived this morning at 6:30 am. The reservoir was like glass. The water at launch (about 7:30 am) was 41. I had a hit and miss right off and then nothing for about 30 min or more when I had a second hit and miss. I had a third hit and miss and started wondering if the woolly bugger I was using was a little long or greased up or something. Marked lots of fish from 25-35 feet but they all seemed to have their fins straght up. It seemed like the birds were able to catch the fish better than I could. I finally got two online around 9:30 and got rid of the skunk. They were nice bows, small but scrappy. 1 thirteen incher and the second a 14 incher. Off the water by 10:30, my feet got numb and had to get home. Other then it a little chilly it was a great day. Saw a couple of bank tanglers as well. [cool] Pretty much had the reservoir to myself.
[signature]
Keep your feet out of the water and on your foot pegs they won't go numb Smile
[signature]
I use flippers to steer with. So I had to keep them in. I did pull them out a little bit at a time though.
[signature]
My feet get colder when I put them on the foot pegs. Must be something about the blood flow. I put them up there to rest a bit and then put them back in when they get too cold.
[signature]
Me too. But, when I am kicking I try to move my whole foot even toes.
[signature]
Next time I will wear my wool socks as well. That should help keep the cold off a little longer. Especially since strawberry is starting to open up I would like to go up there soon.[Smile]
[signature]
Having a type 2 and a type 5 sinking line has worked well for me at a lot of reservoirs, including Lost Creek.
I find bigger fish holding deeper in the water and a type 5 full sinking line will get you down to where the fish are quicker than a type 2 will.
Be sure to give Lost Creek another shop in a few weeks, when the water temps go up a little more.
[signature]
Sometime I have seriously got to try my Type V[Smile]
[signature]
I have a type 3 and 4. I was using type 3 that day. I will have to rig up my type 4 as well.
[signature]