Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
haymeadow or eagle valley
Gonna head out and hit some new water on the yaks this weekend, debating on these 2 based on recent reports, i wouldn't mind a chance at those exotic trout they in eagle valley but im not sure if those have been planted yet or not.

It will be a 1 day trip so not too worried about camp grounds and such. With that in mind which would you hit?
[signature]
I would goto haymeadow... I've fished both for a long time and for a 3 hour drive the fishing is great and bigger fish I've caught 5lb rainbows in haymeadow and the biggest I've caught at eagle valley is about 18 inches
[signature]
I agree with Haymeadow, the distance to both for me is less than 20 mile difference so miles are not a issue. The trout are definitely bigger and there are most likely sleeping giants just waiting to hit something. There is a 6-to 8 mile dirt road in to Haymeadow but not a problem other than dust.We hammered the rainbows last Thursday and Friday. They hit worms, power bait, grubs, and a few spinners. Of the 4 of us we did not go more than 5 or 6 minutes without someone yelling fish on. Take sun screen.
Cacoon
[signature]
If your after quality size of fish. Haymeadow is your place. Hands down...
[signature]
Hi Sykoss, welcome to NVBFT. Thanks for joining.
[signature]
haymeadow for sure, you will catch more and larger fish. Try to pick up a gold hammered spoon. That will help you hook into the larger hold overs that are not going to hit on power bait. Here are a couple i pulled out off that lure a year ago. 2 and 4 lbs.
[signature]
Just so I'm clear,the dirt road is no problem for a Honda Civic? I've read about Haymeadow here and wanted to go but was nervous about the car--also I'm a novice and have no boat.Mapquest says to take #318 from Pioche,Nv.---is there another way?
[signature]
You will be fine, just take your time and go slow. I have seen many cars out there, the worst part of the road is washboards but nothing your car cant handle....then again that was last year.
[signature]
If you are coming from Vegas the first turn off you see on the 318 the sign with the fish on it and Wayne Kirch Mangement area this way is a lot more washboard than the second turn off about a mile further. Either road just follow you will see signs. If you go past the rest area you have gone about 4 miles too far. Once you pass Alamo then Ash Springs turn left to the 318 and its about 70 miles.
Cacoon
[signature]
Really both are great places. Fish are bigger at the Kirch. I would say Eagle Valley has its share of fish plenty of smaller fish. I have caught bows, tigers, and browns out of there. I would say eagle is better suited for an overnight with excellent campsites. Both are fun and you will not go wrong either way.
[signature]
last weekend got shot and next weekend i have some buddies in town for the suercross race. Will have to wait until next weekend before i get to head out and give you guys a report.
For the tigers and browns are they always in there or only stocked? And whats the best bait for those bad boys?
[signature]
Tigers are a sterile fish bred/created in captivity. So that one has to survive (not get hooked or at least if hooked get released) or be stocked to continute to be there.

Tigers are a agressive breed. Bred in captivity since they are not natural. The reason for the breed is to control say suckers or other populations of fish not desired. They are a fish eater! Not saying they won't hit a lure, powerbait or a worm just that a fish imitation bait/lure would increase your odds of catching one. Brook Trout (male) / Brown Trout (female). Being bred in captivity allows one a certain amount of control over the breed. Don't want it there anymore don't stock it. They will eventually go away via old age or getting caught. They "can" be produced naturally but very unlikely (circumstances for this to happen isn't common).

A Splake is another fish just like the Tiger. Bred to be a fish eater to control a certain body of water. Brook Trout(male)/Lake Trout (female). Again another fish that could happen in the wild but extrememly unlikey.

Utah is huge on both of those breeds to control their lakes.

A Brown Trout is also a fish eater. They just don't grow as fast and are not as aggressive as the previously mentioned in captivity breeds.

So for any of them mentioned above if you want to catch one a fish imitation lure or fish type of bait would increase your odds of catching one.
[signature]
I've heard that a little gold Rapala countdown is killer for all of those species.

[inline crankbait_brown10.jpg]
[signature]
I have done well in the past with a Rapala about that size painted like a Rainbow Trout. Great crank/lure to troll behind the boat.
[signature]
nice, is that about 2.5 - 3 inches might have to get a gold and a rainbow trout and test each see which is better and report back Smile

Thansk alot for the tips!
[signature]