Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFO Assault XX Cargo Rack
It's not unusual for us to be out 8-12 hours on the water, which means we want lunch, drinks, snacks, etc., and to be ready for any kind of weather. Previously I would sit a cargo box on the back of the Assault XX, but the pontoon limited the size, and the rocker-shape push everything against my back.

So with inspiration from TubeDude, I fashioned this light-weight, level cargo rack that makes it easier to secure supplies. It also leaves space underneath for things like the fish-finder battery, net, rod tubes, etc.

Also added some Scotty mounts and my transducer bar that folds up out of the water. Before it was on a strap, but I ran the transducer aground too many times.

[inline "Assault Cargo Rack 2.JPG"]
[inline "Assault Cargo Rack.jpg"]
[signature]
I like your new rack.

Are you going to run a strap from the d-ring through your "t"s across to the other d-ring, or over the front of the rack somewhere?
[signature]
Yeah, there are all kinds of ways to secure it. In the first photo I’ve got it lashed to the back D-ring, but it could be both D-rings. I also have a Scotty mount on the rear that will lock it into place (at least as to forward and back movement).

Also note that the left end of the rack fits into the cup holder on the Scadden bag. This actually stabilizes both the rack and the bag. Finally, I toyed with an extension that would hook into the oar holders near the rear. It worked very well but the extension of the PVC pipe seemed likely to get in the way.

On stillwater with little lateral movement, it shouldn't take much to keep it in place.

The real test will be when we take it down the Green this summer. However, I will separately secure the storage bin to the D-rings so some redundancy if things go crazy in the rapids.
[signature]
Good. It sounds pretty stable. I was thinking about places like the Green and a few fun rapids. Handy and lightweight addition---Kudos!
[signature]