Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring on the bass
Just picked up a TFO classic 8wt 9ft rod at cabelas for a decent price. I'm ready to chase them bass now. Since this is the first time I have ever targeted bass with a fly rod, any suggestions/recommendations?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Good luck with the new rod. I would suggest a popper. Fly's like that seem to drive the bass crazy. Heres on of several that I have tied. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Top waters, yes bass love top waters! I may have to go out to horseshoe springs and try them out.[Smile]
[signature]
I have caught them on California Leech, Midnight Fire, Waterboatman, Egg, Perch Imitation, Prince nymph and a couple on a Gartside Gurgler.

Why an 8 wt. out of curiosity?
[signature]
I was thinking 7/8 for a little added strength. Also been looking at them for years. I would also like to use it to chase other species such as pike and tiger Muskie.
[signature]
Good call. If the bass are in weedy places I see the 8 wt. but all the bass I have caught and ones I have seen here and there, a 6 wt will do.
[signature]
My plans are to hit Utah lake with the 5/6 for the white bass. Deer creek bass have a lot more brush to hide in so I will use the 8 there. If I chase carp the 8 will be awesome. Also lake Powell bass can be a little larger than those here in the north. Also it will be great on stripers and wipers.
[signature]
Absolutely.
[signature]
Now to go find a place on Monday to use it.[Smile]
[signature]
I would also suggest terrestrial patterns such as beetles and foam hopper patterns..
[signature]
Thanks, I do have a few of these I think. Gotta check my bug boxes.
[signature]