Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat leak - help!
So while we were down to Powell last weekend my boat was taking on a lot of water. We found that the leak was coming from the livewell pump, so we ran to the Walmart in Page and got a new pump. Fixed it, right? Wrong. It stopped leaking but my boat still kept taking on a lot of water. When I got home I filled the hull up with water to the level that it was filling up to to see if I could see any leaks. I got a tiny bit out of the main plug, but certainly not gallons worth like I was taking on. I went through and tightened all hose connections and can't find where it could have been leaking. I've inspected the underside, there is some chips and what not (fiberglass boat), but nothing noteworthy. Any ideas? To be honest I don't the plug is my problem because while we were on the lake we went ahead and double plugged (from the inside and out) and the boat kept taking on water so I have no idea what to do next?
[signature]
Had the cartridge pop out of my livewell fill pump on rough water one time, stopped to fish a point, looked back and had a butt pucker moment.
[signature]
If you test-filled the boat and found no leaks, logic tells me the leak is located somewhere between that level of water and the external waterline. I'd start looking at the transom area: motor mounts, any through-fittings - and the transom edges.
[signature]
I would agree with you on that. I was also wondering if the boat experiences a lot more pressure when the boat is on the water, consequently letting water in, where when I fill it up with the hose it only has gravity as its downward force?
[signature]
What is the cartridge on your livewell fill pump?
[signature]
If it's a fiberglass boat you can take a very bright spot light or other source of bright light and have one person shine the light on the hull while you visually inspects from the inside -- you should be able to see cracks or other damage that might be causing the leak...

Do this inspection process when it's dark outside or inside in the dark.... How this helps...
[signature]
Good idea. I don't want to get to that point because that would mean I'd have to take out some of the flooring to do that[crazy]
[signature]
Ive been dealing with the same issue. I think mine is fixed. I t appeared to be leaking thru the drain on the back live well on the outside of transom. I re sealed that connection with marine silicone and replaced livewell pump. I tried the same thing filling the boat up at home. No where close to the same pressure as lake water against the boat.
a couple checks to try..... run water thru the livewell pump at home to see if the livewell pump system is leaking. if you aren't getting water in the hull from that system then one of the several drains or overflow penetrations thru the hull could be leaking.

process of elimination going with cheapest and easiest fix first....
good luck
[signature]
I've had the pitot tube from the speedometer freeze during the winter and crack. While going down the lake it was pumping a lot of water into my boat.
[signature]
Where is that located on your boat?
[signature]
Thanks man. I think I'll just go ahead a re-seal anything that has the potential of leaking.
[signature]
the pitot tube runs from a pick up on my motor to the speedometer on the dash. Some boats have a pickup the mounts on the transom and runs to the dash.
[signature]
Might be a real stupid question, but is it an outboard?
[signature]
Yes it's an outboard. There's only two bolts, visible in the little bilge pump cubby, from the motor. It seems to be dry, but I'm going to go to the lake and try the baby powder trick to see if there are any leaks on those exposed bolts.
[signature]
I have never heard of double plugging, is there anyway the two plugs were pushing against each other causing a gap?
[signature]
I don't think the one plug was pushing the other. I'll explain: 1. we were taking on water. 2. we put in the other plug from the inside. 3. We still were taking on the same amount of water. So basically I think we ruled out that the plug(s) are the culprit since it was taking on the same amount of water whether one or two plugs were in. It didn't seem to make things worse, but you never know.
[signature]
Open up the main drain plug at home and run water into the live well(s). If water starts to run out of the main drain you could have ahole in a live well hose. I had it happen to me. Alot of water can get in in a small hole in a hose. They get brittle after a few years and can crack or even break into and should be changed regularly anyway.
[signature]
A buddy of mine almost sank his boat the first time he took it to Powell. it was the second time he had the boat out. Long story short, his first mistake was trimming his motor when on plane. The problem turned out to be, I think anyway, was the one way drain valve was broke so it was letting water in the live well when under power. I guess it forced the water in under pressure because it didn't flow it while sitting there. We plugged it up with a stick for the time being until he could get it in the shop to have the valve replaced. Hope that helps.
[signature]
I should have said he didn't trim his motor and it forced water into the drain. When he trimmed it properly it didn't force the water in. His was an outboard also. Pretty freaky seeing water coming up over the floor boards and rock wall on either side of ya. Thank God for dump station docks!
[signature]
We need more INFO.. First does it fill when the boat just sets in the water, or when you go forward, or when you go in reverse??

At one time mine would fill the live well when I put it in reverse..Through the over flow and that hose was bad..
[signature]