Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite hatch on the provo river?
I'm curious what is your can't miss hatch on the Provo. For me I would say its the green drakes. Please comment your favorite and why!
[signature]
I like the "Rubber Hatch" on the Weeb and Provo...for the eye candy!
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]I like the "Rubber Hatch" on the Weeb and Provo...for the eye candy![/quote]

+1 especially when they come down without a top... or i mean wing casing [Wink]
[signature]
Hopper dropper, dropper hopper, hopper
[signature]
+1 on the "rubber hatch". The fishing may not be the greatest, but the scenery sure makes up for it!
[signature]
Hydropsyche's, all summer long.

Working class insect - hatch/mate/egg-lay during late afternoons and evenings. Very consistent. [Wink]
[signature]
I just make my own hatch[Wink]
[signature]
caddis when hoppers are out
[signature]
Those late night summer caddis hatches for sure... Great fishing darn near all night.
[signature]
Totonka chironomids
The bigger midge that come off starting in Febuary. there is little or no pressure on the rivers at that time. Ephemera guttulata is a great hatch, but eveybody and there dogs are usually up there. It's a trip to see giant mayfly coming down, or flying around...

"You ask a typical guide what's hatching? the answer to that question is whatever's hatchin? pmbwo's are comin off? Hey what's hatchin? pmbwo's? Uh... sculpin are comin off, right? sculpin are hatchin?"
Hank
[signature]
[quote Brooktroutboy]

Ephemera guttulata is a great hatch, but eveybody and there dogs are usually up there. It's a trip to see giant mayfly coming down, or flying around...

Hank

[/quote]

Green Drakes on the middle Provo - Yes, but they would be the Western Green Drake (Drunella grandis/doddsi)... we're probably a couple thousand miles away from any E. guttulata hatch. [Wink]

The true Green Drake is an absolute monster... size 8-10, 4X long (to put it in hook size terms).

How about the flav's? I've seen the nymphs on the lower Provo just upstream of the tunnel. Anyone seen this hatch in fishable numbers? It's a blue-winged olive (or slate-winged olive) about a hook size 14. I used to fish their East Coast cousins (E. cornuta) on the Brodhead River.
[signature]