Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purple Showgirl Rocks!
I fished the little available water at Soldier Creek marina yesterday and the fly of the day was the Purple Showgirl.
I ended up with 21 and a thought occurred to me.

What other colors do you guy like to tie in the "showgirl" style?
[signature]
Black in the alaskabou style work good as leech.
[signature]
My brother had one he called Crystal Meth...LOL Red chenille and white Marabou.

I've had great days at Soldier Creek using that fly. But I tied a special nymph on with it. Cutt hit the PS and rainbow hit the nymph...fun stuff.

Catherman. This is a Bill Scheiss fly (If I remember right) and it is nothing like the Steelhead version. The Steelhead version is more what I use, similar to a Gartside Softhackle.
[signature]
Ok now I see I thought he was talking about the first pic but the second pic is what he means?
[signature]
You betcha!. Add an orange stripe (out of orange floss) down the belly of the bottom one kicks it up a notch[Wink]
[signature]
Yes that's the one.
[signature]
Does that work better than just a crystal bugger? Looks the same just marabou at the front....
[signature]
It is a killer fly on many days. I have never compared the two side by side. The purple showgirl is a top dozen flies to fish at the berry and mantua.
[signature]
Well it seems I should tie some up then
[signature]
Absolutely! Another one to tie up was designed by Byron at Fish Tech. Called the Crystal Killer. Basically a bugger, but pheasant tail for the tail instead of marabou.

Keep in mind Purple is the last color to LOOSE it's color in deep water
[signature]
Good to know I thought it was blue. I'll be using more purples!
[signature]
Blue is down there too.[Smile]
[signature]
Just tied up some Purple Showgirls - some with orange floss on the bottom. Hope to try them out at Soldier Creek Marina on Fri. or Sat.
[signature]
Make it Saturday and I will show you the Nymph I use with the PSG[Wink]
[signature]
You will have plenty of company come Saturday, Sunday had plenty of people there, and there was not a lot of open water to fish.
[signature]
Less than ten pontoons tubers and we were practically bumping into each other.
[signature]
But it has been nice (up to today) I am sure you can get 20 pontooners this weekend...LOL
By the way folks, the PURPLE SHOWGIRL is tied with a special color of purple. More a Lavender. The pictures never show this. I have tried it with a darker purple and caught fish but nothing like the Lavender. Black Chenille will also work.
Great picture in Bill Schiess book.
[signature]
I am going to tie up a couple in lavender. But I have always done well in the regular purple. It aint real dark but it aint lavender for sure.
[signature]
Bill recommended the lighter and I found it to work better, but you use what you use as it sounds like it works for you.
I wanna try something new this year.
[signature]
This is as close to lavender as I could find.

[inline "Purple Show Girl.JPG"]
[signature]