Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help with reels
Hey everyone, I'm looking at getting another rod and reel combo and didn't know what you all preferred between spincast, baitcast etc. I've never owned a baitcast but many people have told me they love theirs so I thought I may get one. I saw a couple at Gander Mountain around $100. Any suggestions? Is the bait cast easy to cast?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Prior to my getting into fly fishing, preferred spin casting. I have an expensive Shimano Curado BSF which I like but I prefer the ease of casting a spin setup. With a bait caster one needs to thumb the reel all the time. At least that has been my experience. Although I must admit a bait caster has more flexibility with adjusting the reel flow. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
It ALSO DEPENDS on what/how you fish and what you're fishing FOR! It's really a matter of using the right tool for the right job...

TYPICALLY, baitcasting reels are used with heavier line and heavier lures/baits than are spinning reels.

I feel - and this is personal preference - that baitcasting reels are easier and better suited to casting to "targets". The "thumbing" of the reel spool as the line goes out, not only limits backlash but is also advantageous for controlling the EXACT amount of line that goes out... to cast to a specific spot.

On the other hand... spinning reels are better (I think) when skipping lures under docks or casting light-weight presentations - ESPECIALLY into the wind.

Again, choose the right tool for the job... [Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Well said ydoc. Might mention that bait reels have made tremendous improvement in their product over the past several decades. I have an old Shakespeare that was my Dad's that is a bit difficult to control. Sort of like flying a kite in a tornado.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod!! [Smile]

One thing I also forgot to mention... gear/retrieve ratio!

This goes back to what TYPE OF and what KIND OF fishing he/she wants to do. Using the above criteria... if smaller fish (generally speaking) and lighter line and "slower" presentation, a spinning reel works great.

But if you want to horse a bass/fish out of heavy cover, use HEAVIER line, or... want to fish a fast moving lure (like a buzzbait), then the baitcaster can offer the gear ratio/retrieval speed to do so.

Now THAT has been settled... <lol> What about SPINCAST reels??

A long time ago (50-60 years), that's what us kids learned to fish with. They hadn't really created a "good-casting" baitcasting reel back then. My first one was a big ol' Pflueger; no magnetic or anti-backlash ANYTHING. You had a star-drag and a "friction-knob" on the spool. It was loaded with heavy, large-diameter dacron line. It was a BEAST to cast! Sooo... us kids learn to cast with spincast reels.

We became pretty darn good at it too! We learned how to "feather" the line with our finger as it came out of the small hole in the cover. They were bigger then... and our Garcia Abu 160's and 170's could easily handle 14-20lb. mono.

But alas, spincasting reels weren't ever as glamorous. And once GOOD baitcasting reels came out, they were pushed over into the corner...

BUT, there are some darn good spincasting reels out there now! I have a couple of Zebco Omega's that are smooooooth (they don't have the "growl" that the older styles did)! They have SIX bearings and sufficient line capacity to handle ALMOST any fishing situation/style.

No, I won't fish one with 80-100# braid, and they can be difficult to try to work a buzzbait FAST... but other than that, I think they're ANOTHER valuable "tool" to consider. And... they're ESPECIALLY appreciated when casting 1/8oz. spinnerbaits or weightless tubes INTO the wind!! [Wink]

Many tools... I just need a bigger boat! <lol>

Bob
[signature]