Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Felt the need to tie
Call it what you will but I got a trip planned Monday to chase toothy critters and found I was a little short on flies. So I tied some up. It's been about 13 years since I tied these patterns and they look better than the first time I tried.
[signature]
Those look really good!! I too have been tying a bunch of big bass and pike flies been messin around with Mylar tubing alot if fun.
[signature]
Thanks! Last time I tied these was 13-14 years ago.
[signature]
Those are some good lookin flies you tied there. Considering I have only been tying my own for a few weeks now.......I would be proud if my version turned out as good as those.
[signature]
I can tell you these look a lot better than the batch I first tied 13+ years ago. Haven't tied them since until yesterday. Although practice over the years probably helped. [Tongue]
[signature]
I am new to fly tying and I was wondering what miteral do you use for streamers. All that I have used is maribow (i don't think I spelled that right but anyway) I am new to fly tying and I love streamers my number one fly behind caddis. So anyway you seam like you no a thing or 2 about fly tying so I hope you can get back to me thanks hunter
[signature]
Streamers can be ties from any number of materials. It all depends upon the streamer you want to tie. Most streamers imitate some kind of fish. Maribou is a great streamer material. Woolly buyers are a streamer made from maribou. Others like these that I tied imitate perch, bluegill, and pumpkinseed. These I used an imitation material called enricos sea fibers. Other streamers require different colors of feathers or a mix of the two. The attached photo shows many different streamers. Some tied with feathers, some with fur, and others with man made materials.
[signature]
I like the fly with the long tail. [Wink] Looks pretty tasty too me.
[signature]
A lot of streamers imitate LEECHES. As the egg sucking leech in your picture.

Streamers can be Bunny (Zonker Strips) plus there are other strips like possum, squirrel. etc.

Synthetic, like Angel Hair, etc

Chenille and Marabou

Deer hair as in Clousers which are a multi tasking fly

Feathers, wool....
[signature]
The purple one? That imitates a plastic worm .[Tongue]
[signature]
Yes[Smile]. A streamer imitates anything that swims. Gotta love streamers. I tied one up for my daughter to her specs a couple years ago. I'll gave to find a pic of it.
[signature]
Here is another streamer that I tied about 2 years ago.
[signature]