Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass?
Howdy,

I just got stationed in Mountain Home, and have been trying to do some bass fishing. It seems like you need a big boat on all the big water around here however all I have is a float tube. Where are some good places to catch some bass around here? Is CJ a good fishery? Also, any good bass clubs that are open to young non boaters?

Thanks!
[signature]
Howdy! Thanks for your service, and welcome to the forum!

I don't know too much about that area, but people will chime in soon who do.

I hear a lot of names of places down that-a-way, and they sound like good fishing.
I'd bet you could even find a few forum members who would be willing to take you on their boat, if you supply some gas.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT, and Thanks for your service!

CJ is a great fishery if you can stay out of the wind! It kicks up some pretty dangerous waves. But there are plenty of areas on it that you can tube.

Crane Falls Lake and Cove Arm Res are in the area.

The lakes at the Bruneau Sand Dunes also have bass and panfish.

Lake Lowell is another nice bass area.

Good luck
[signature]
I like to fish along the tulee beds along the bank at Jasckson creek access plenty of space if you wanna stay or really close to home and easy to get to very tube friendly in that area i use a little 12ft alum. so im to big on being on the big water either. Hope it was at least a little helpful. Thank You!
[signature]
Thank you for your service, basskicker907!

I have two young kids who limit my time on the water, or I'd show you around. However, what everyone has said so far is good info... hit CJ, Cove Arm, and Bruneau Lakes. If you're into trout fishing, you can drive further south on hwy 51 and pay for a permit (appx. $15 a day) at the Duck Valley Indian Reservation for access to three reservoirs with big trout (up to 8-10 lbs) and some occasional smallmouth, including some huge ones. If you go a bit further over the Nevada border, you have Wild Horse Reservoir which has large trout, some smallmouth bass, and perch.

Close to home, you can also hit Loveridge Bridge on the Snake/CJ for some good shore access for carp and bass.

I hope this helps. Welcome to Idaho.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT.

Forget the bass, go after some Sturgeon your right there!

[fishin] + A beer.

Idaho
[signature]
ask around..... there is going to be a soldier appreciation tournament at CJ this sunday
"(mothers day)-------- I know, great planning right!!!!!".

what a great way for you to find out where to fish and what to use. If you go, they will have the bass boats and a boat captain to help you out. I helped out last year and it was great. no fee and you win a nice plaque plus bragging rights. think you have to be pre signed up so ask around. all competitors are assumed to be comming from mt home.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT Idaho!!

There was a bass club in Mountain Home. Mountain Home Hawg Hunters, I don't know if they are still together, as I haven't seen any info on them lately.

Also check out [url "http://www.idahobassfed.com/"]http://www.idahobassfed.com/[/url] and [url "http://www.idahobassfederationnation.com"]http://www.idahobassfederationnation.com[/url] under Clubs and you will find a number of local clubs. They are always looking for non-boaters.

CJ is an excellent bass fishery. I see a lot of float tubers around the Cottonwood area. Just watch the wind, it can get pretty nasty.
[signature]
Thanks everyone it's a pleasure to serve.

Took your guys' advice and went out to CJ in the tube, landed 3 small smallies and had a few hits on my frog, but they wouldn't take it. So I imagine they were small largies. I was fishing around teh Air Force marina as I didn't want to venture too far out even though the lake was glass.

Saturday I went to Crane Falls and man, what a good looking lake for a float tuber, although I only landed three small largies, I think there's potential in that lake for a few 3-5lb fish. Hopefully they move up on beds soon and I can find big momma.

I've been looking for a club to join, it seems Boise has a few that have monthly meetings, however I don't know if it's out of line to try and join this late in the season, any club fishers around here can give me a little insight?

Thanks everyone!

When in doubt, set the hook!
[signature]