Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another double
I went to the river this morning. A nice pool area. I could see carp rolling here and there.
They were coming up to sip on bugs or whatever. Cloudy this morning with a breeze so ripples on the water and a bit murky. Sight fishing was hit miss.
I decided to go with my trusty Yellow softhackle glow bug. I run this off a 5' mono furled leader and 4 feet of 10 lb fluoro. I put a small clear Thingamabobber about middle of the furled leader. This is just to help me detect hits in the murky water.
Darn Carp were sipping on the Thingamabobber![crazy]
So, I decided to tie on a Gartside Gurgler on a #12 scud hook
[Image: Tadpole3.jpg]

This is sort of like a Boobie fly in that it does want to float up. I put an 8" tag about a foot down on the 4' tippet from the connection to the leader, so the egg was still 3' down from it.
I do this set up all the time on trout and get a lot of doubles. Well......IT HAPPENED WITH CARP!
Yikes! Lately when I hook a carp, one or two will follow it in, so I am thinking I have a nice carp and I knew it hit the Gurgler. I get it close and it is BIG! I am guessing 35".
I get it close so I grab my net and squat down to net it when it takes off and I noticed another on the Glow Bug! You can kinda see them both in the center of this Photo.
[Image: 36b21112-98be-47fa-bcb4-44361327705f_zpsfcc0f730.jpg]
My net barely scoops one, how am I going to do this! So, I am battling two Carp over 30" and I am not into weighing thing but I know they are heavy. Good news is they were sticking together. I get one close and snap! I broke the tag off with the Gurgler. This was the BIG one that is now swimming around with my fly in its lip. I did manage the smaller one (32")
[Image: IMG_0518_zps087124b5.jpg]

Here is the Thingamabobber
[Image: IMG_0517_zpsaa56e7ab.jpg]

I caught some bass and more Carp...great day! And one for the memories
[Image: IMG_0522_zpscedf03f4.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0531_zps84329ec3.jpg]

I am so addicted!!!!
[signature]
Nice, Double carp wow I can only imagine trying to pull both carp in at the same time. Allot people dont understand the excitement of carp but some of those carp can really put on the fight.

Congratz !!!
[signature]
that is so cool. 2 big ones at the same time.I have a new spot where the carp are in love right now if you want to try some place new some time give me a shout. Any one that wants to hit them with a sharp stick is welcome too.
humpy
[signature]
Nice.
Next time tie up some Thingamabobber flies ahead of time.
[signature]
Give me a shout in a pm as to where and when. Always up to new spots.
Riverdog, the thought did occur to me when the third one hit it[cool]
[signature]
Nicely Done!!!
[signature]
That is crazy! I've had lots of doubles with trout, doubles with bass, one bluegill and one bass, one perch and one smallmouth, I even caught two 14-15" smallmouth on the same crankbait, but I can only imagine how crazy two mammoth carp would be at the same time. Dang I need to get out [Smile]
[signature]
WaaHooo!! That must have been a rush!

Too bad that one broke off, but maybe that is better than breaking your rod trying to get them both in.

Fun stuff!
[signature]
True. I had his head in the net with the other on the side. If I had had the strength to lift the net. I usually lay the rod down and use both hands as they really are too big for the net, but this time, I was afraid if I didn't keep a grip on the rod I would loose it and now I know I would have, the other fish takes off which it did.

I just chalk this up as Sturgeon on a fly training...LOL
[signature]
Sounds like landing 2 fish like that in your situation requires a "2 person team". [Wink]
[signature]
I have to agree with you there. Plus I am dying to use my new Glass 8 wt. but I really think I need a net person with that rod.
[signature]