Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead 5/10/13
[cool]Set out at gray light for first spot at boulder harbor in the tube. Kicked around the entire area for nada. Went to next spot and launched from rocky point. Saw a big school of threadfin shad ( first I have seen this year) at launch site. Kicked to crescent island and saw a very large school of shad working around the shoreline. Also saw small stripers chasing them. I threw all kinds of lures and plastics at them but they had too much of the real thing around. Kicked over towards 33 hole where a lot of boats were into the stripers. They all had fresh shad for bait and were still throwing castnets for more. There was a steady catch for the boats but the lures had the stink on them. I talked to a couple guys in one boat and they asked if I could throw a castnet from the tube. I said no but might do better with a large dip net. Before they left they gave me a baggy of fresh dead shad. After thanking them I gave the bait and wait a try for only three light bites. Landed at noon with no fish. But it was a great day on the water with a light breeze to keep you cool.
[signature]
Sounds like a relaxing day on the water for sure. What time did you get out there?
[signature]
[cool]I was on the water at 5:10 am.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, BigE. About how big were the shad that you saw? and the dead ones that you got?
[signature]
[cool]They were between 3.5" to 4.5" long. I think that they were in close to spawn.
[signature]