Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The berry
Going to hit the berry a week today with some of my highschool friends. We will have spin and fly rods. Any ideas on where to go, techniques, or lures/flies that are producing well. We are also going after some crayfish while we are up there. I got a couple of traps to try but any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks for any info. Please feel free to PM any responses. I will post a report after our trip. Hopefully we can get into them.
[signature]
I was thinking of rapalas, Jakes, kastmasters, and some white tubes for the spinning rods. And maybe some wooly buggers with a nymph trailer. I have no idea on location though. Anything other tips on location or lures/flies or location would be fantastic. Please feel free to pm.
[signature]
I'm a huge fan of white in that lake. With so many small chubs and smaller fish those cutty's really like something that is white. I usually tie up some larger (size 6 or 4) chub imitations. Lots of flash on them as well. Small crayfish imitations also work well in the shallow water under an indicator. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Any input on location? Cheers.
[signature]
I like White as well, however, for fly fishing, that is more a Fall color. Right now I say BROWN Mohair leeches, Purple Showgirls (the Bill Schiess ones not the Steelhead version) Even Yellow.
As for location, I recommend Soldier Creek. That bay right behind the store. Some big trout in there and easy fishing area.
[signature]
Hi Goddess I was up there two weeks ago still had lots of ice. The open water was about 20 feet offshore around the haws point area. No takers on night crawlers or minnows. So I went to a casting bubble 6 and 9 foot leaders with black wooly buggers and a double renegade for the most part. Also used a brown something another and it also comes in olive. Just not sure of the name. But the wooly and the renegade produced for us. Seems they are consistance from year to year on the berry. nice to be back on the boards.
[signature]
I was up there two weeks ago as well, cool. But there was NO ice at SC. I agree, can't go wrong with black bugger. I did catch a couple on a Midnight Fire.
Most came on the Showgirl and a Yellow softhackle though. Not many people try softhackle streamers which is a shame. They are a meal ticket.

[Image: IMG_0485_zpsa9c403a9.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0487_zpsba3bd970.jpg]
[signature]
i agree with FG on white. For me, A white Zonker is a must have in the fall. BUT, thats not to say you cant catch them on white in the spring...Overall, the fish seem to like colors that represent a crayfish in the spring(shades of red, green, black).

fished saturday around the ladders, and fishin was TOUGH! did manage about 7-8 dink rainbows less than 16", and one that went 3LB. No cutts! where were they? I can usually count on big cutts this time of year. Moved into deeper waters.....still no cutts. did keep the 3lb rainbow, and disected. he had 3 smallish dads in his gut, with an assortment of other aquatic snails, and bugs.

Had both a spinning rig and a fly rod, no pattern or lure seemed to be a clear cut winner. the only consistency i found, was the best bite was super early. caught probably half of the fish between 7-8AM. fishing tailed off from there.

chicken wings anywhere on the lake will catch lots of dads...i like to find a rocky shoreline with lots of places for crawdads to hide.
[signature]
I caught fish in July on White Bunny for obvious reasons:
[Image: IMG_3320.jpg]

As for Crayfish, I like Burnt Orange which is a Spring and Fall color, but it works all the time for me which is nice.
[Image: IMG_3919.jpg]

It was steady for me from 9 to 1 with slow periods of maybe half hour
[signature]
I'm with ya 100% on that fg. The orange colored bugger in the attached photo is one of my very favorites all year long. The dads came out of a big bow caught on the fly in the pic.
[signature]
We fished it last week and did the best on purple buggers. Also, if it's possible, try to take some waders. I rarely fish from shore, but when I do, I always take waders so I can get out a little ways. It helps when you get snags too.

Gaetz
[signature]
That fly looks an awful lot like a renegade only with a longer tail. At least the ones I have. I dont tie flies as I am truly challenged in that area. So I really don't know what the difference is between some flies and others it's obvious.

But that was a fish with a full tummy haha.
[signature]
[#0000FF]When you bring your new toon down for modificatin' I can show you some 'dad patterns in both flies and 'bou jigs. I actually make one I call the "jig-a-gade" because it incorporates all the colors of the good ol' renegade in a small jig. Even caught a fish on it once.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD your always good for a chuckle and a laugh.
Can I show the old Bud pull tab I caught a fish on once too? As we both know fish will eat anything once, it's the repetition that counts LOL. But you know me I'm always interested new and better.
[signature]
A renegade has a gold tag on the bend of the hook, Furnace (brown) Hackle on the back, peacock body with gold rib then a white hackle in the front. No tail. Variation would be brown hackle front and rear. Do much more and it is no longer a Renegade, but what's in a name.[Smile]

That is just a bugger.

OH and I was told years ago that a Renegade was suppose to be a snail pattern. All I know it is deadly in snailie waters[Smile]
[signature]
I know it's funny, but the "jig-a gade" is a very productive jig. Pounds those stillwater 'bows! I caught a fish once on them also Pat, so that's at least two![Wink]
[signature]
That's a good discription, these are made on a long shank #2 hook. They have no white Hackle,The ribs are red and gold. And I'm going to guess it's peacock. See goddess I really don't know flies. But I have friends that do LOL.
Thanks I think we are talking the same fly with a small variation. Just know it works spring and fall. Spring in the morning and late afternoon.
[signature]