Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Blue Gill and Perch Setup
Ice Fishing Tip #10<br><br>As you know, different species require different size hooks to have any productive results. We all have had experiences fish, whom have resided to dropping out of school and can’t tell the deference between a #1 and a #8 hook. In addition there are those fish that can’t even tell the deference between a hook and a sinker. (I actually reeled in a couple of those, hanging on to the sinker and not letting go until they were in the boat.)(Blue Gills)<br><br>Speaking of <B>Blue Gill</B> my favorite hook is the <B>ABERDEEN SNELL #8</B> just big enough for a bug or red/leaf worm or a piece of crawler. (Just enough crawler to cover the hook)(Usually 3 crawlers is enough for me to catch 25 Gills)(Don’t forget to stink it up a little [Wink][Wink]) And yet is big enough for those Large/Small Mouth bass to hook them selves. <br><br>Using #4 to #6 pound test leader line you will want to have 3 or 4 setups pre made before you go out. (You don’t want to miss out on the feeding frenzy while it is going on) Although most Gills weigh less than 2 pounds, that doesn’t stop the strain that each individual Gill will have on the line. Gills spin around in circles as you attempt to land them, twisting and wearing at the line near the hook. <br><br>I use two setups for Gills a single and a double hook leader. <br><B>Single</B>Tying the hook at the bottom of the leader I will then place the sinker three inches above the hook. No more no less as this is essential for setting the hook properly (every time).<br><B>Double</B> Tying the hook at the bottom of the leader I will then place the second hook 12 inches above the first then the sinker 3 inches above the top hook. The placement of the two hooks is very important reason is in the timing. I set the top hook at the desired depth, while the Gill takes the top hook, the bottom hook will trail behind. Like a couple of barnyard hens Gills will chase each other for a worm. The apposing Gill seeing the worm trailing behind the first Gill will assume that the first Gill has lost it and will move in for the snatch, the hook will set in to the second Gill by the first Gill resulting in the <B>”Double Hookup.”</B><br><br>The double hookup dose bring the Gills in faster, I rarely use it any more do to the fact that here in Michigan the Gill bag limit have been reduced from 50 Gills to 25. So to prolong my trip I will use the single. <br><br>I use the <B>”Double Hookup.”</B> for perch using #6 to a #4 <B>ABERDEEN SNELL</B> using minnows or corn for bait<br><br>You can find this hook here.<br><A HREF="http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=30038&hvarTarget=search" target="_new">http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=30038&hvarTarget=search</A><br><br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown