Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night fishing with mouse patterns
So I want to give this a try since I cant seem to catch anything during the day [:/], How do you go about this, Im planning on the weber and I have everything I need except a head lamp. What type of lamp should I get and do they scare the fish away? And what type of water and ways do you fish these. Ive done some reasearch on it but want to hear of some local pesonal expeirences and is now a good time of the year for this [fishon]
[signature]
We need to do this this summer!
[signature]
Make it plop on the water, pound the banks, know where you are wading and what's around, pay close attention to sounds, hang on.... Would not hurt to be packin also, just in case
[signature]
I would personally forget the mouse patterns. You will have a lot higher success with streamers. Black wooly buggers and muffler minnows at night can be a blast on the weber, or Ogden river as well.
[signature]
But all fly fishers need that one MOUSE hook up on the books[Smile] Anyone can catch them after dark on buggers & streamers....LOL
Strawberry early morning too. As Koch said, PLOP it on the water. Don't be delicate.
[signature]
Try a red lens on that light
[signature]
I do a lot of fishing at night and here's a couple of things I take into consideration:

Plan first....I go in thinking I'm getting one chance, so if I blow that cast, I may be done. Mark it out during the day. Where are you going to stand? What direction are you going to walk to get to that spot? Are there any holes along the trail that you can fall into? Also, what direction is your cast? What is behind you that will mess up your backcast? What obstacles are in the water? How long of a drift will you get before you need to start your retrieve? Everything looks different in the dark so you need to plan. I don't use a flashlight at all, but I do use chem lights. I place them at my river crossing points, and I also use them as casting targets - placing them directly behind where I'm intending to cast.

It's a lot of work, but think of it like hunting, the more work, planning and scouting you do, will eventually pay off in the end.

Good luck and post some pictures of your adventures.

Gaetz
[signature]
Dang dude, fishing is suppose to be relaxing....[Wink]
[signature]
So I got a few mouse patterns and some new streamers and going to give this a try on monday night around dusk. If anyone wants to join and show how its done [Wink] let me know planning on hitting the lower weber.
[signature]
Wow thats pretty fun even without landing a fish. I got one nice bite on a articulated mouse pattern but that was it. I cant wait to try it again!
[signature]
Keep at it - it'll just be a matter of time before it all comes together. You've got some great patterns that will get hammered, especially this fall.

Gaetz
[signature]
Not in his eyes!!![Wink]
[signature]