Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you fish alone?
I didn't want to post this on my Pelican report because it's a very different topic.

While on the lake for a few days I got to see all kinds of boats, from us in a jon boat up to bass boats that would push $50k i'm sure.

What I noticed was that at least half of the extremely nice boats only had one guy in them but all the little boats like mine had at least two guys and often more. Since I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here with those nice boats I want to ask- why in the world do you fish alone? Putting aside the personal safety aspect, what compels so many guys who obviously love to fish to want to do it alone?

For me, fishing is not about catching the most or biggest of fish, but rather getting out and doing something with my friends or family. As a boat owner my favorite thing is to get newbies out on the water doing something they've never done, I've really come to love the guide role in the last few years. To do it alone seems....hollow. Shouldn't it be about creating memories with the people you enjoy being around? Don't you know any kids who would talk for years about "that one time I got to go out on a boat"?

Not trying to call anybody out but I just really don't understand this mindset that seems so prevalent in our fishing culture.
[signature]
Most often I fish alone, in the middle of the week. No one else wants to take a day off work to go fishing. No crowds at the docks or on the lake.
[signature]
Some times I want to fish the way that I want to without having to worry about keeping other people happy.

There are times for friends and family and there are times for me also.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
i fish alone for the sol fact that i go into the mountains and lakes to get away from people so why in the world would i want to take the one thing i'm trying to get away from with me????

i will say there are a few days or a few species of fish that brings me to take another person sometimes two.... but never more than 3 thats just asking to babysit and or asking for trouble.... just personal opinion and such...
[signature]
There are times I like to take the kids and usually those trips are all about trying to give them a good time; my fishing is secondary. Most of the time fishing is a release for me; a way to escape stress from work or the noise and just enjoy the quiet, nature and a chance to let my mind relax.
[signature]
The reason I fish alone this year is because the guy I used to go out with Isn't able to due to work and stuff. So I am without a partner this year. Also I fish in the middle of the week like mister completely does.
[signature]
I tell my wife when I go fishing I'm there to recharge my batteries. If I catch a fish that's a bonus. Also when you're by yourself you're able to think and let your mind wander to different places that you wouldn't be able to if you had company. Sometimes all you need is the companionship of a good dog.

That being said my best friend was made while sitting next to me in my boat. So it can go both ways.
[signature]
I do little of both, Fish with friends and BFT folks other times I solo it.

I fish alone mostly cause

1. people flake I like to hit the lake or river early and when im sitting in my driveway waiting, its defeats the whole purpose of getting up early

2. Some folks are just asses I've taken a guy from work up on the Weber promises to pay me back for gas later ( never saw a dollar ) then he throws his beer cans on the bank.... [mad] had to letchure him on littering which make me look like the bad guy grrr

3. I dont want to sound like a elitist snob but im fishing its may day off I don't mind giving pointers and helping out but there times when seems like im giving a fishing class.
[signature]
I get asked that alot. One of the biggest reasons is that there's only a select few (some of whom I've met on forums) that enjoy the methods and venues I seek. I mainly persue large trout and char in alpine lakes. It's not an easy way to fish usually. Up early, driving long distances, hiking in, and often being dissapointed by stunted fish, winterkill, or fishless lakes. But to me, when I finally locate a body of water with larger than the norm fish, with few or no people around, it's the ultimate in satisfaction. It's just been in the last several years that I've met some folks that enjoy the same tactics. They have become some excellent freinds. Whenever any of them can go, we join forces, but if logistics and time off doesn't match up, I'll go it alone. I enjoy either one.
[signature]
Thanks for the responses guys
[signature]
Because fishing for most of us that are spending that kind of money, is a differant thing. Especially when trying to catch biguns. Though i bet most spend as much time with friends and family on the boat as most. Sometimes you just dont want to babysit.
[signature]
I think all my best answers have been covered. I very often extend invites to folks that "want to go" but then don't. Not gonna let that stop me. I hate to keep someone else waiting, "always late but worth the wait" - don't know that the latter holds water, but . . . all the same.

I've enjoyed taking others out, have enjoyed meeting up with others for adventures, and new experiences.

If I go it alone, I'm never late, never stay too long. I think some of my most favored trips will remain outings with Ben, but we'd each take our own flat-bottom. Might not meet at the launch, but very often crossed paths, even when not planned. But being able to toodle around, yet make our own choices - works. I'll miss having that guy around - once of the most 'go getter' anglers I've ever met.
He could chase carp with a bow, while I bobbered down on big kitties. I'd fill a stringer full of perch while he hunted musky, yet - having a bud to help net and photograph a trophy - that was a treat.

Getting together with a crew, sharing stories, tips on gadgets and tactics. Having an overnight campout on an island in the middle of a river - it's good, good memories, fun stories. But as others have said - the unwind, the mental exploration, being able to fish how you want where you want when you want.

I'll admit to having failed with my boy - shorter trips, outings more about him that "catching" would have served me better. He still likes the ice (ok, snacks and snoozes in the tent!), but love having a willing pack-mule who enjoys pulling a sled. It's still good.

I truly need to get him on a big fish - a big cat, a musky, or a laker. Even a toad Golden Tarpon! He has yet to feel the reel spool out as a fish takes line and runs. That is a joy that just makes me laugh. I do want to share that.

I just know I enjoy my angling time enough, that if it's 20 minutes on the river on the way home, I'll take it. Often I've met folks while out, and made some regular friends I might not encounter otherwise. There's always something to learn and share. I dig that.

I'll admit though - even the solo trips, I feel like I'm not alone if I can bring the trip back and share it with my fellow BFTers. Call it vanity if you will, I see it as comradel\ry with thems I figure might appreciate it.
I can't think of too many I would like to fish with..

When I go with some they think I should let them go for free, some say "well you are going anyway so why not take me" boat truck and tackle all cost money..

And I go fishing most weeks 4 to 6 days and if no one asks I go alone..

I have fished in five states and Mexico this year, and in a wile I will hit three more states as well and will be gone for two weeks..
[signature]
Several Reasons
1-No one to call last minute and tell you they can't go or w/e.
2- Good stress relief-sometimes u just wanna be alone
3-You get to go EXACTLY where you want WHEN you want.
4-Better fishing(more fish for you to catch yourself personally).
[signature]
Honestly if the passion of the person I am fishing with doesn't match up to mine it's no fun... I will hit the river for 12 hrs a day with just a smashed sandwich in my pack and a warm bottle of water. Most folks don't find that to appealing! I'm a new dad now so I barely fish a 1/4 of what I used to so I cherish those days I get to go out. Don't get me wrong, I personally would rather fish with a good buddy ( some of which I met throught BFT) but if they can't make it I won't let that stop me. I love sharing and teaching if someone wants to learn but I go because I have a passion for catching fish, plain and simple.
[signature]

Amen to everything said. One time I took a guy that BEGGED me to take him, to a certain spot, fishing a certain way, and afterward didn't even offer to help pay for truck gas, boat gas, launch fees, etc. Then I felt like the fool for even obliging him, and I said never again. I laughed out loud at some of these comments because they ring SO TRUE!

OK, it's true that some of my best fishing memories were when I've taken the wife, daughters, grandkids etc, but it's seldom that they can go. My reason for fishing alone is not that I don't want a buddy there with me. I often ask guys if they want to go, and invariably they do, but when it comes down to making plans, they don't.

I go by myself where I want, when I want, quit when I want, and pee when I want.
[signature]
About the only thing I like better than fishing alone is fishing with company but----I'm a little selective about the company and there are the odd times when none of 'em can make it. I still go and thoroughly enjoy it.
[signature]
I don't mind fishing with others and sometimes I really look forward to it (it's almost time, BG1[Wink]).

Taking my family with me is a great way to spend time together, but the kids aren't always into it, or maybe my wife gets cranky, which really takes away from the overall good time. Those trips are still treasured, but if I can see that it's not going to be fun for everyone, I'm fine to do it alone.

I spend a lot of my time doing things that I'd rather not do, for the good of my family. When it comes time to fish, I usually would like to get away from that and do exactly what I want to do.

If I see a little stream or pond from the road and want to pull over, I can! I've found wonderful places to fish by doing that.

If I have a hunch and feel like looking into it, I can! If I want to leave and try another water, I can! No party to consult first. That's bliss.

Then again, times with the family or friends is also time well spent. I'll take a healthy balance of all of it.
[signature]
[#000000][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The saying goes buddy: A man went fishing all his life, only to find out it wasn't fish he was after. There it is then. [fishin]
[/size][/font][/#000000]
[signature]
I go by myself cause no one ever wants to go, I wish I had buddies to go with most people I know aren't into outdoor stuff like me, that's the only reason why I go by myself
[signature]