Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Sink, Sink Tip or Depth Charge
So I was at Cabelas yesterday Oh FYI they have a bunch of Fly rods on sale in store don't know if they were returns or what but I seen a Sage VXP for 5wt 225 and a bunch of TFO rods for really cheap.

So now I need fly line, been surfing the web for line and well what works best for Stillwater or Lakes. I know Sinktip if more for rivers but what are you opinions on Full Sink V or Depth Charge line does one work better ?
[signature]
kinda depends on what your going to do with it. i have a few sets of sink tips for bigger rods, and several spare spools of various intermidiate, and several different tpyes of full sinking. if i were to reccomend anything, one would be a clear inter. and one would be a type V or VII
[signature]
I thinking scenarios like the Berry places were during the hotter months you got fish deep.
[signature]
On Monday at the Berry, the wife and I were using a Type III and trolling/finning around 1.2 mph and did well. I think FG had a Type VII on one of her rods and did better (she always does).

My two cents is that you want the line to stay in the right zone (anywhere from 1' to 20+') based on the retrieve or trolling speed that entices strikes. Thus the need for multiple sinking weights.

We've done reasonably well with a sink-tip added to a floating line ($12 at Sportsmans); clear intermediate ($30 from Cabela's); and then density compensated Type III ($60). FG's got me convinced I should add a Type VII or so.

If you plan on a lot of time on Strawberry, a Type V might be a good first line. We move to the Unitas and the Green as the summer progresses and then return to the Berry come fall.
[signature]
I have never been a big fan of Sink Tips. They have all the weight in that tip section so it is like casting a bunch of split shot. They are great for moving water though as you are able to mend the floating portion.
But, for Stillwater, I will only use a full sink. Two choices however. Density Compensated. Sinks uniformly with no belly. Or Wet Cell which will form a belly. Nice for weedy places.
However, I have one Wet Cell in a Type III. The rest of mine are DC.
The ones I use the most are the Intermediate, Type II and Type VII.
Type VII is great. You only need cast out a few feet if you are seeing fish in a special zone. But if you see them on the bottom, cast out length to bottom and add some for travel.
I love deep nymphing and generally do this with floating line, leader and indicator. But if you are moving (by wind or whatever) it is nice to adjust that depth for ever changing bottom. That is where thee Type VII comes in. I use a dot of Knot Sense on my line at the 30', 45' and two at 60' I am in full control this way.

I also like Depth Charge for summer months. However, I recommend going one size up per rod. I use 300 grain on my 6 wt. This can also be like a Type VII in that you have the 30' of the 300 grain followed by 70' of Intermediate.

I have all the different sizes in 4, 5, and 6 wt, but I only use three.....go figure.
[signature]
Thanks flygoddess, that in a nut shell is information I really needed. Since I'm in So. Utah and ALL my fishing friends ONLY fish tournament bass (me too for that matter) I am pretty much on my own when it comes to figureing out the many mysteries that are..........flyfishing. But I am learning and I do manage to catch fish (trout) most of the time and sinking lines are proving to be deadly.
[signature]