Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan river and Good Old DayBreak
WARNING WARNING !!!! ALL FISH WERE RELEASED SAFELY. [Wink]

With no work today I decided too spend my time really wisley looking for some nice bluegills, bass and suckers. All came true.

First things first. MAYFLIES ARE OUT IN FULL EFFECT ON THE JORDAN RIVER BUT NO FISH EATING THEM!!!
[inline 2.JPG]
[inline "MAYFLY FESTIVAL.JPG"]
After getting a face full of mayflies I decided to leave the JR till close to dark for better action. Left Jr to head up Day Break to see if any of the bigger bluegills, sunfish, or bass will like to play with some flies. +1 Level up!!!
[inline "Jordan river, day break and other stuff 5 31 12 024.JPG"]
This dinker bass was enjoying this small popper a little to much.
[inline "Jordan river, day break and other stuff 5 31 12 027.JPG"]
Here is a great double combination a nice bass with a bluegill.
[inline "Jordan river, day break and other stuff 5 31 12 029.JPG"]
[inline "Jordan river, day break and other stuff 5 31 12 030.JPG"]
It was interesting to see a few guys get mad because I was slaying the bluegills on nymphs and they couldn't catch a single one with bait ha ha ha and that's why I stick with fly fishing. I literally caught about 20-30 bluegill before they touched 1. Got to love fly fishing.[angelic]
After slaying to many bluegills to count because I literally had a 1-3 bluegills on my rig each cast I had to go back to the jordan river at my one of my fly suckers spot for some heavy touch. This sucker took about 5 minutes toward me and gosh he made a great work out program running up and down the river with him.
[inline "Jordan river, day break and other stuff 5 31 12 032.JPG"]

[inline "Jordan river, day break and other stuff 5 31 12 031.JPG"]

All bluegills were caught on a small popper, scud or psychedelic prince nymph. Bass = small popper and black woolly bugger. Sucker was caught on a scud.

Everything I flipped a rock around in the jordan river their were tons of scuds finally.

I got one question what is this insect. I tried to take a picture a while back for some one to identify it but it was to blurry but today I got a better shot of it so if you know what it is I'd love to know because theirs a few of them in the jordan river where I've been fishing lately.
[inline "Jordan river, day break and other stuff 5 31 12 036.JPG"]

[signature]
Nice I love the jorden and daybrake that is the only places I fish. I have not seen larges that big! I no that there was tho. What you catch him on. I usually catch small ones and blues on small bead nymphs or on a good calm day cadis
[signature]
Looks a lot like the Drakes I see in the Provo.
[signature]
Damsel or dragonfly nymphs....I think or maybe a stonefly nymph
[signature]
I was thinking Damsel nymph as well. Or maybe hoping[Wink]
[signature]
Nice work! I am yet to go after bluegills on the fly... Looks like fun.
[signature]
Nice fish.

I am pretty sure that those are damsel fly nymphs. It is a little hard to tell, but they have 3 feathery tails/gills on the back. In your picture the one on the left has lost part of its tail and the one on the right the tails are all clumped together.

Here is a video that shows how they swim. They are very wiggly in the water so a marabou tail on a fly imitates that motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l5qiXBKDeA
[signature]
Got me excited about carp again so I hit the Jordan trail. Tried a new spot. Caught several nice LMB in the 16" to one 18". Best part of it, the carp were slurping the surface, so I used my trusty popcorn ball but I attached a short 8" tag and tied a green Boobie fly. A lot of grass floating on the river so I thought this was a good call. YUP! Had several suck it in but spit it very quick. Plus I was excited to see this work.
Caught several on the popcorn ball in the mean time but this one didn't escape the BF
[Image: IMG_0658_zpsba01b046.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0659_zpsc1453693.jpg]

A great morning to be out riding[Smile]
[signature]
But how in the world do you make your fly do a "clicking" sound?[:p]
[signature]
That's just the special dance music to encourage the bug to get its moves on! [laugh] [laugh]

That was a surprise. I never had the sound up on my computer when I watched it before. How annoying is that? I can't figure out what the heck he is doing to his camera or whatever!! [crazy]
[signature]
Awesome post man! But where is day break? Or what is it a pond?
[signature]
With the river just up the street from me I hit it......often[Wink]
[Image: IMG_0669_zpsc46f50ed.jpg]
[signature]
I wish I can hook up carp more often especially when I found a deep pool of big guns in there but they are rarely interested. The sucker put more love then the carp.
[signature]