Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help identifying a fish
I need help identifying this baby fish. I recently had a pond installed in my backyard and the landscaper added some plants that he harvested from a local river and then these baby fish started showing up. (Eggs attached to roots?) Thanks for your help!

Oh, it would probably help is I gave you a location. I live in Southern California and the plants came from the Kern River area.
[signature]
now I am probably wrong about this one, but my guess is a shad like minnow.

here in Michigan we fish with a similar looking shad we call a golden shiner, they run from the color you have here to an orangey gold.

I am assuming it is about 2 inches in length?

at any rate, it looks to be a decent bait fish.
That's what I was thinking, looks like a shad.
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Not a shad. Most likely the shiner that was previously mentioned. We've got just about every kind of shad and herring in north america here in SC, and I've never seen that before.
[signature]
[quote calepo]I need help identifying this baby fish. I recently had a pond installed in my backyard and the landscaper added some plants that he harvested from a local river and then these baby fish started showing up. (Eggs attached to roots?) Thanks for your help!

Oh, it would probably help is I gave you a location. I live in Southern California and the plants came from the Kern River area.[/quote]

You got lucky .... that looks like a Black Crappie fry ...

edit: here is a pick of a black crappie from the Kern River reserve...

[inline crappie_Main_Dam_CG_10_Feb_08.gif]

Your pond is about to have Black Crappie in it....
[signature]
Oh yea don't take anymore out. I hope there are lots of them in your new pond so they spawn next spring. If it's a black crappie in two years you will catching some 3/4lb to 1lb ones if they thrive. Plant some trees on the bank so there are insects that fall in the pond too if you want to keep fish alive in it.

By the way how large is your new pond?
[signature]
The pond is about 25 feet long by 15 feet wide. It is flanked on two sides by huge pine trees. Here's a picture.
[signature]
[quote calepo]The pond is about 25 feet long by 15 feet wide. It is flanked on two sides by huge pine trees. Here's a picture.[/quote]

Pretty sure that is a black crappie.. I doubt you can keep a population of them with that small of a pond unless you buy some dry dog food and toss into that pond every day. Even then I doubt if you will keep a good population.

I thought you had a POND... lol ... that really isn't a pond...
[signature]
[quote calepo]The pond is about 25 feet long by 15 feet wide. It is flanked on two sides by huge pine trees. Here's a picture.[/quote]

We just made a new pond on my dads land ... The state bought dirt for a new overpass... it's about 1 acre now and is two years old. It is just now holding water for the first time. It had water all through the winter and has water through this spring and summer.

That's what I thought meant. That's not really a pond.
But if you can keep the black crappie alive in there that would be fun. You should get some japanese goldfish and put in there and feed them dog food every day.

Nice little garden. Lovely.
[signature]
Just out of the way. I used to live in La Jolla, Ca ... at windansea. You are so lucky. I lived there back when I played in my rock band. We started out in L.A. and after we made some money I moved there. I sold my house and now live with my mom and take care of her because she needs. She gave me life so now I do this out of love for my family.

I wish I could be back there in Cali. I really miss it.
[signature]

That is now my desktop background...

very nice garden... but not a pond...
[signature]
LOL. It's actually a swimming pond. The center portion is where I spend the hot summer days. I never expected to swim with the fishes but I don't really mind it. =)

I wanted to create a small mountain 'lake' look and I think I've achieved that. The waterfall blocks noise from my neighbors and brings peace to me. Just off to the side is a gas firepit.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the view. =)
[signature]
it is a nice garden dude.... I am about to go off..

I wish I was back there in cali... I can't be back there right now...

You are so lucky... enjoy it...

[signature]
That is no doubt a baby carp! Looks just like those black phase goldfish at the pet store, but if it came from a river I bet money they are carp. That is a clear pic for sure.
[signature]