Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a Rangefinder
I am looking for a cheap rangefinder for deer hunting season this year. I am looking for new or used no more than $150. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks!
[signature]
The only suggestion I have would be to not waste your money. Get a high end unit, or don't get one at all. You'll just be dissappointed.

That's my 2 cents.
[signature]
What would consider high end? What are some good brands? Thanks for your advice!
[signature]
Typically (I believe there are some exceptions) when a manufacturer specifies a max range, it is from a highly reflective target (window, clean vehicle, house, etc). For non-relflective targets (trees, wild game, many rocks, etc.) you can cut that max distance in half. If you buy a range finder with a max range of say 500 yards, then you max useful range (IMHO) is about 250 yards. That would be useful for bow hunting, but for bow hunting, I don't need a range finder. It is only in excess of about 350 yards where I really need one, so I don't want one that would be useful for anything less than about 700 yards, or roughly a 1500 yard range finder.

I've only had experience with 3. One was a Bushnell 400 yards RF (borrowed). Anything beyond about 250 yards was extremely in-consistent.

The second was one my wife bought me for Christmas (Cabelas model). It was a 600 yard (I think). I used a few times and took it back to Cabelas and traded it's value and a few more dollars for a Bushnell 1500ARC.

The Bushnell 1500ARC that I have has been very useful. It is still a bit weak for high humidity environments (Kooskia mornings), but works reasonably well most of the time. I once ranged some other hunters at around 1200 yards with it, but that is an exception (snow covered hills). It will commonly give ranges in normal field conditions up to about 700 yards. Beyond that it is very hit and miss as to if it will get a reading or not. I personally don't like to take shots much over 500 yards, but using the RF I have had one shot kills on WT deer at 407 and 530 yards as well as an elk at 521 yards. And so far, I've not missed on the long shots like that due to the fact that when I do decide I'm going to take a long shot like that, I take time and care to make sure I have the best rest possible and take my time to make it count. Mostly, I like to use the range finder to know when I am at a more confident distance, say something under 400 yards.

Good brands? I've heard really good things about the Leica's and Nikons, but I've never used them. I can say that I've been very please with the Bush 1500ARC. I don't know what those are running these days. When I got mine, I believe they were a bit over $500.

I hope you find my input useful.
[signature]
Wow, thank you very much for the information. That helps a lot!
[signature]
The one i want is the Vortex 1000. it has backlit numbers for easy reading everytime. the problem is, it is 380 bones. If you are at cabelas have look at that one.

Hooknhunter is right. I have had plenty of rangefinders and been disapointed. I have returned some under warrenty and just wore some plum out. I am saving up now for the Vortex. I think they have a lifetime warranty too. Good luck.
[signature]
I have used / tried a number of different range finders..best 2 are Leica ( more expensive cfr models 1200) but work great can find some used for 400 ish..or Nikon great value thats works very well for a good price..I have not used / tried the Vortex..Danny
[signature]