Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br>2/17/02<br><br>I got a couple of e-mails this week about how great the grouper fishing is up north of Clearwater. I wish it were so down here where I fish. My diver friends tell me that there are fish on the bottom but they are not biting. My trips last week pretty well confirmed that. We caught some small reds, but no legal grouper in the 45 to 70 foot depths off St. Pete Beach. We did mange some nice mangrove snapper to save the days, but it’s still disappointing to me when the goal is grouper.<br>On to the bait house reports:<br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – Trout and reds are biting well in the area. A few more snook seem to be biting this week. Sheepshead are really huge now and being caught just about everywhere. All of Tampa seems to be out trolling in the ship’s channel and some grouper are being caught. <br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Trout and reds are coming in from along the Causeway this week. Some snook are biting at night around the flood gates. Lots of big sheepshead are coming in this week from all along the Causeway.<br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- 120 feet of water produced some huge mangrove snapper this week. Lots of blackfin and amberjack have been coming from the same depths. Inshore, whiting are biting well off the beach and silver trout and speckled trout are biting as well. <br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Snook have really been biting well around Weedon Island. Big sheepies are biting around the end of the bridge. Lots of black drum are coming in. Silver and speckled trout are coming from the foot of the bridge.<br>Dogfish Tackle on Redington Beach - 727-392-6644- Trout are coming in from the residential canals. Sheepshead are really biting well everywhere this week. The bite on the beach was a little slow this week.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Speckled trout have been biting well on the inside. Grouper are biting well in the deeper water. Blackfin and amberjack are also coming in from the deep water. Lots of sheepshead are being caught in the Pass and some snook are being caught as well in the residential canals.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- Sheepshead, snook, and grouper have all been coming in from our gas dock this week. Our offshore boats have been bringing in grouper, mangrove snapper, and blackfin tuna from the deep waters 30 miles plus offshore.<br>The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Sheepshead, Spanish mackerel, whiting, and grouper have all been coming in on the south side this week. The north pier silver trout, big sheepshead, and some nice keeper grouper. Greenbacks and blue runners have shown up around the pier this weekend. The Spanish should be back as things warm back up. A couple of pompano have been brought in this week.<br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com