Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furled Leaders v. Regular Leaders
[quote TroutMan93]Yeah I definetley feel better about losing $1 on a so so fly than $3-$5 on a "quality" fly.[/quote] agreed!
[signature]
Dab of head cement or zap a gap on the head and they are awesome flies.
Dave I went to the Midvale store to buy thread for my leaders and the manager kept referring to the fact he had braided. I politely explained they aren't the same then he wasn't so polite and walked off. By the way, Uni thread is 50 yards at Sportsman and 200 anywhere else.
[signature]
I haven't tried FGs furled leaders, but I have made a few of my own out of 2 lb Trilene and I can't see how I fished without them. It took a couple of tries, but I was able to get a couple of nice 7' leaders. One of the mediocre ones is hooked to the end of a 12' extendable panfish rod. Kind of a redneck tenkara rod. [Wink]

I won't go back to a traditional tapered leader unless someone forces me to. I'm a decent caster, but about every couple of casts I'd manage to pile the fly and leader all together at the end of the cast. That happens much less now.

Matt
[signature]
Ya getting used to casting furled leaders was tough. I spent the first few trips out untangling some wicked Ferrari clusterossa's. but now I won't ever go back!
[signature]
Hello. I highly recommend trying them out then spending the $20 or so on materials to make a jig. I have tied two in my life--the first one was an epic fail but I have been using the second one for 2 months now. I love it.
[signature]
Yeah I fell in love with them on Sunday. The delicacy in tossing little amd big flies are absolutely amazing. Thanks Fly Goddes for the sample packs. My girlfriend even had an easier time throwing furled than tapered and she's only been flyfishing for a couple of months.
[signature]
Good to hear TM
[signature]