Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tube head around here
And I mean NEW - I havent even gotten a tube yet! But I sold my kayak so I could!

Can someone offer an opinion on the best value in a tubing PFD/fishing vest.
[signature]
Hi there and welcome to BFT! You have come to the right place for info.

Here is a link to the float tubing board. That will be the best place for tubing info. For a pfd as a tuber/too dr myself I would recommend an inflatable. More comfortable. For a fishing vest I go with a regular fly fishing vest. There are chest packs out there as well.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforu...ategory=66

I will move this to the float tubing forum where others will ba able to help you out as well.
[signature]
I have been using inflatible PFDs for 3 years, i have a auto inflation when in the motor boat & a manual inflation in the kayak or the pontoon,
[signature]
Great info albino. Don't get me wrong, inflatable pfd are nice, but they are up there in price specially if you are on a budget for a tube or toon. Also not legal on certain waters.
I use a $25.00 Walmart special. Good enough for me when I was water skiing, good enough to have on hand on my boat.
I agree with your advice to check out TDs write up.
[signature]
Yes they are spends. I use a st earns my self but I have been drooling over the inflatables as of late[cool]
[signature]
[#0000FF]For many years I merely carried a regular approved vest type PFD on my tube...folding and tucking it in a pocket or other space. I also carried it pulled down over my seat. It was handy, and met the requirements for safety.

Thankfully, I never had to use it. I have heard a few Sad stories of boaters (not tubers) who were suddenly dumped in cold water and could not get to their PFDs...and suffered the consequences. It is not easy to put on a PFD after you are in the water and floundering around...especially with waders on.

My wife tubes with me. We are getting older and have greater concerns for safety and mobility. So we bought a couple of the inflatable PFDs over a year ago. Our opinion is that they were worth the extra money...in peace of mind. And they are virtually unnoticed while wearing them.

I used to always wear a fly fishing vest to hold my "carry-on" goodies, clippers, line spools, etc. Now I use a chest pack and it fits perfectly right under the bottom of the inflatable PFD. The attached pic is not the best (considering the subject) but it shows me wearing my PFD...a Cabelas model.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Tubedude, and everyone else.
I'm not against just having a carry along flotation piece. In all the years I've boated, I've never made much of actually wearing vests and such.
If I can make a vest fit around my seat back, as suggested, I could live with that.
What I don't want is to absorb valuable stowage with it. I was in the Navy for
years and Assn obsessive about stowage. If you need it, stow it...and have only what you need.
Personally, I like the inflating type of PFD. I expect I will go to one, in time. I'm also a fishing vest fan, and I don't leave home without it. Because I live in South Carolina, though, keepin cool is a factor.[Wink]

I'm really appreciating your comments. Nice, active forum you got here.
[signature]
Hi, DH:
If you will be WEARING your PFD, I recommend the suspenders type TD has in his pic, otherwise anything will do for a floatation cling to. Also, I would test the PFD in deep water (swimming pool, etc.) to see how it works and how you will sit in the water. Worst case scenario, you will be unconscious and want something you don't have to put on and that will also turn you face up for breathing - the cheaper inflable belt pak type and some foam type will not do this. The suspenders type can also be partially inflated by mouth (for protection against malfunctions/testing, etc.) if you know a hazard is ahead like river rapids, huge waves, etc. Partially inflated it is still more comfortable/ cooler, than the foam type because the bubble pockets move around to conform.

That said, float tubes are a lot safer than power boats/kayaks etc. because of stability design and how/where they are used. Instant sinking is very unlikely - unless you have a troll motor and battery. Most float tubes have at least 2 compartments and some foam which will trap air pockets and can be used as a cling to device.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

Pon

[quote dayhut]Thanks Tubedude, and everyone else.
I'm not against just having a carry along flotation piece. In all the years I've boated, I've never made much of actually wearing vests and such.
If I can make a vest fit around my seat back, as suggested, I could live with that.
What I don't want is to absorb valuable stowage with it. I was in the Navy for
years and Assn obsessive about stowage. If you need it, stow it...and have only what you need.
Personally, I like the inflating type of PFD. I expect I will go to one, in time. I'm also a fishing vest fan, and I don't leave home without it. Because I live in South Carolina, though, keepin cool is a factor.[Wink]

I'm really appreciating your comments. Nice, active forum you got here.[/quote]
[signature]
Great comments, Pon...
I'm always leery of inflatables, in general. This is a me thing,
because nothing has ever happened to me. I'm a fair weather
angler/boater and stay off water in heavy weather. I'M not afraid of rain,
but wind and lighting are the enemy. So I don't normally place myself on harms way.
However, I've always had a hull beneath my ass, so I have a (irrational) minute fear of punctures. Leaks can be fixed, but having a hole poked in my tubes' bladder concerns me. It probably shouldn't... but it does.
I'm not letting that stop me, of course. I was just wondering how experienced
tubers reconcile the matter.
Great comments so far!
[cool]
[signature]
When ever I am in a smaller tube (I use pontoons) and as you said, room is an issue, I strap my pfd to the side of the tube. Out of the way but with in reach. At
[signature]
Cool, another vote for newS at hand.
Thanks!
[signature]
[quote dayhut]Great comments, Pon...
I'm always leery of inflatables, in general. This is a me thing,
because nothing has ever happened to me. I'm a fair weather
angler/boater and stay off water in heavy weather. I'M not afraid of rain,
but wind and lighting are the enemy. So I don't normally place myself on harms way.
However, I've always had a hull beneath my ass, so I have a (irrational) minute fear of punctures. Leaks can be fixed, but having a hole poked in my tubes' bladder concerns me. It probably shouldn't... but it does.
I'm not letting that stop me, of course. I was just wondering how experienced
tubers reconcile the matter.

Great comments so far!
[cool][/quote]

Think of it this way. A float tube is just a miniature version of an emergency survival raft. You can read accounts of lives saved under the most dire circumstances (wind, waves, lightning, shark bumps, leaks, etc.) in such craft. Since inflatable craft are not rigid, quality built ones can take brutal force collisions and slide over some sharp objects while cushioning passengers. Holed float tubes don't "pop" and sink instantly while in water, AFAIK. But they can explode before they are put in cooler water, if overinflated on dry land. If you operate under common sense conditions where you can avoid hypothermia, there should be nothing to fear.

Pon
[signature]
Thanks, Pond.
Those are some calming words, and I appreciate them.
I like your analogy to survival inflatables.
[Wink]

One reason I'm getting the ODC 420 is it came recommended
by an experienced tuber friend. You may know of him here; he goes
by, "The Asian Guy."
He suggested it, knowing my puncture phobia, citing it had the better resistance
to such events. He knows I intend to use my tube on some back cove waters in the South. I'm thinking if I stay out a ways and mi
mind the down trees, I should be fine.
But, I'll bring a PFD to be on the safe side.
[signature]
I use toons and on occasion a u tube. My wife uses a vtube, my daughter used a round tube up until now she has a u tube, and my son a toon and a round tube. All have pfd's. I usually put my pfd on my toon right behind me with easy access.
[signature]
thanks, A-trout!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Always better to be overly cautious than overly sorry. I have been float tubing for over 50 years...in a wide variety of floating devices...from round donut tubes to pontoons. And I can truthfully claim that I have never known of a tube to suddenly deflate while on the water, from any cause. Over the years I have experienced a fair number of minor punctures and pinhole leaks...caused by anything from cactus spines to fish spines. But in virtually all cases I noticed the gradual loss of air pressure in time to make my way safely to shore before sinking or losing any gear.

All that being said (typed), I will also say (type) that I have never grown complacent about the potential for such problems. When I go afloat I have my lures and hooks covered and protected within rigid plastic containers...and I never toss one inside a pocket "to take care of later". Seen some bladder punctures as a result of that kind of carelessness. I am also very careful about using my knife or any other pointy things while tubing. I always make any necessary cuts on my rigid plastic apron (sushi board) rather than on the surface of my tube. But I have seen others using their nylon covers as cutting boards. Seems like a good way to thin the herd.

Accidents can and do occur. By definition we cannot anticipate them. They just happen. But we can reduce them by using common sense. And we can minimize the consequences by being properly prepared for most potential problems.

Having a PFD is one of the better things we can do for ourselves (and our families) to help insure that an unforseen happenstance is not our last fishing experience. Where and how we carry it on board is a matter of personal choice...depending upon our degree of caution and worry.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The best pfd is the one you will WEAR. Whatever it costs, it is worth it.

Even the belt pack inflatables can be manually inflated by mouth.

The wind can come up very quickly and surprise even the best of us. In rough water and wind you could be separated from your floattube and PDF very quickly.

Another less likely possibility is being hit by an inattentive boater. I had a close call a couple of years ago, and it was in broad daylight. Think about those early dusk and dawn fishing times. If you were hit, could you get to your PDF?
[signature]
You know I half agree[Smile] we made a trip to Strawberry one year to find 4' white caps . I was there to fish so absolutely wore a pfd.
And as you say, storms move in. On bad ones on H, I can put mine on in a second. Anticipation. But not going to wear one all the time. To binding and uncomfortable [Wink] Just me but I can't justify inflatables.
[signature]
Thanks, TubeGuy.
You and all the others are right - a PFD does no good if it isnt where it can be used.
Ideally, I will go with an inflatable. Budgets being what they are, I may not get the ideal starting out.
I have some float vests to start with, and thereis always Christmas. [Smile]
[signature]