Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Tips for the Weekend
All,

Here are some things that worked for me, hope they help. If you come in off Rt.6 and go ESE on 97, go past the Dam. About 300 yds past the dam you'll see a pull off on the right. Everyone will be fishing no more than 100 yds from the "beach", go about 100 yards past them. If you have a fish finder find 22 ft of water (depending on water level). This is an old river channel that sits just off the weed line. It's about 1/3 of the way to the island. Rig up with a Chartruse head 3/8 oz. with a white Grub (I use What-A-Crickets) or a white head with a Chartruse grub. Tip with a meal-worm. 12" below that on a blood knot dropper loop use a #20 pink Rat Finkie tipped with a very small piece of crawfish tail, or a very small piece of a red grub tail, cover with Crawfish scent. Suspend the bait mid range, I like 14 ft. You'll get the big ones coming off the weed beds on the feed. The trick is to find the exact edge between the flat and the channel, it's only a drop of about 4 ft, but, makes all the difference. Watch the fish finder and adjust accoringly. If the fish are close to the bottom you're too far out. Come in a couple of feet and cut another hole. Look for the mid range fish and you'll be at the edge. You'll get about 1 football sized Bow for every 2 little stockies. You might even get a Cutt, but, please let them go, they're not stocked. Good Luck and good fishing.
Wow, great info, IFG. Stuff like that is very helpful; much better than "walk out on the ice, drill a hole, drop your line, and you can go to *&@# if I'll tell you how to catch 'em." Thanks a bunch!!![blush]
[signature]
Wow, thanks for the great tips IFG. Where will you be fishing this weekend?
[signature]

[signature]
Let me try this again. I would like to learn how to ice fish. Would any of you like to teach me? I live in Layton.[Smile]
[signature]
All,

I will be shooting Chuckars (a late breaking development) Friday, then picking up my new (used) sled. Saturday (depends) either BL, with BLM or Woodruff with Dan and BLM and his Dad (not AFDAN). Huntington Sunday. T-Day, goose hunting near Tremonton, until 11:00 or so. If you guys are up on Huntington on Sunday, stop by and say Hi. I'll be not near the dam and dressed in bright yellow and black. The back of my coat is embroiderd with "I get hot, when it gets cold". I'll have the same coat on at Woodruff, if I go. This is my time of year, and no matter what you think, yes.....I do know it all. And my coat does really say that. Modesty was never my strong point. As you all know.
[signature]
Cajun Boy,

I told Clint to tell you guys to come along. If he didn't pass the message then call me. PM me and I'll give it to you. Or just call the MOCC and ask them for my home number.
thanx for the info scott not 100% i make it there friday but i'll be sure to try that area when i do
[signature]
IFG, I will be at woodruff friday my self. If you dont end up on the bear, we will see you there.

Sorry, no fancy sayings on my coat.
[signature]
Daniel - I also live in Layton and, while not an Ice Fishing God, am a mere mortal that enjoys the sport and find it a good alternative to cussing at winter and having cabin fever until April. A great place to get started is Hooked Fishing Tackle on Main St. in Kaysville. James and his group can give you info and equipment ideas without the big sell. Let me know; drop me a private message. Mr.L
[signature]
"If you come in off Rt.6 and go ESE on 97, go past the Dam..." Not sure, but I think it is supposed to be WSW on 96.

At any rate just get to Scofield! My son and I fished for about 3hrs this morning. Got there about 8-8:30 and fished till after 11:00. The fishing was great! Between the two of us we caught 30+ fish. Some small, some large. Then we got a little cold and headed home. Clouds kept sun out, so it got a little chilly. Ice was 4 inches thick. Afternoon sun(if it came out) probably made things nicer. We used small ice flies tipped with meal worms just off the bottom in about 8-9 feet of water. Great fishing. Probably going again tomorrow morning. (don't remember if I logged on..this is Chester)
[signature]
Sounds like a good time, Chester.[Wink] I wanted to go tomorrow, but this damn cold is still kicking my butt. I'll be there next Saturday. Hope the fishing will be as good as it was for you guys today. What color of ice flies were working well for ya? I'm assuming you were probably using little ratfinkees, but what colors? Oh yeah, what side of the lake was the ice that thick-over by the damn, or by the island?[:/]
[signature]
Sorry to hear your cold is still hanging on. We were using Fresh Water Basics flies. Orange heads and white bodies. They seem to work pretty good. Sportsman's carries them. We were east of the island. Hope you make it up there next week. We'll probably be up there till something else freezes over.
[signature]