Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake and line breakage for the last month
I just got braided line. See how it goes. Thanks for the advice.
[signature]
+1 on the p-line. I use 6 pound on my walleye jigging rods and bend hooks straight before it breaks. I use 8 pound on my crank/swimbait rod and have yet to lose a crank throwing into the rocks...[fishin]
[signature]
I'm getting old & lazy. All I ever use anymore is a couple Wallyworld light weight Ugly Sticks with some kinda lightweight mid quality spinning reels with good drags. For line, I use one of the 10 lb. test 2 lb. dia. braids. I cut off about 10' of line every trip or two & re-tie my swivel on with an improved clinch knot. I've yet to have a fish break my line. Failures for me usually come from hastily tied leader knots or the leader itself if I'm using it.
[signature]
Good luck with the tree hunting! "George say Swing!"

I was gonna suggest, since you're down south- get some 2-4lb light mono, that's all you'd need! And tye your wimpiest boyscout knot you can manage! [:p]

But - since you're not in the contest...

I know TD swears by his SIlver Thread Excalibur. I've tried 8 and 10lb, and they've both worked well.

Spiderwire had been pretty tough, but seems to fray over time. And I do worry about a sliding weight roughing things up.
Now with the Powerpro braid (30-50lb) and 20lb mono leader - I feel pretty good confidence, but do feel like a drag setting that lets them run for a while, but even after a good run-down, they can see that net, and take another bolt! Tough fish!

I know the waters I fish are SO muddy and murky, there's not much worry over cats seeing line. They're working off smell mostly anyway.

One challenge I've run into is having the drag set for a good hookset, then backing off to give them some freedom.
I just got some P-Line flourcarbon for one of my poles and will also use it for a leader for my braided line. Interesting, when you had mentioned 100% flouro, I noticed that there are some "flourocarbon coated" line.

We'll see how it goes.
[signature]