Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARC Dehooker
Just got one and used yesterday on some Cychlid and a Gar. I keep losing the hook. How can I fix this?
[signature]
Is it breaking at the knot? My experience with this type of dehooker is it's designed to use with heavier hooks and line. Not sure what type of gear you are using, but just a consideration. If you're not using ultra light gear, and the line is breaking at the hook, I would evaluate your knot.
[signature]
Makes sense. Don't think it is breaking at the knot. I am using ultra light gear. So I need to get a stronger line, correct?
[signature]
Or a different type of dehooker. I use one that for dehooking larger saltwater fish, like sharks, mackerel, etc..... with big mouths full of sharp teeth. For me, in fresh water, nothing beats a good old pair of stainless needle pliers. I've caught a bunch of gar, and i've never had an issue with just pliers.

You can bump up your line class if you want to, but that might impact the castability of the reel, and could also impact how many bites you get. In a lot of instances, the light gear is key to success.
[signature]
Great thank you
[signature]
anytime [cool]
[signature]