Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uinta Lake's Flies?
I am doing a backpacking trip into the Uintas soon. I plan on fishing the lakes west of the Crystal Lake Trailhead in a week or two. What flies do you recommend?
[signature]
Sallys, Caddis (olive and Yellow) Griffith Gnats, Royal Wulff, Adams, Mosquito. Terrestrials Ants and Hoppers.
Smaller buggers, Haresears, Renegades, Prince nymphs.

Those will get you fish, but think smaller like #16 to #20
[signature]
Especially the fish love my small #12 black leeches as well the caddis hatch is strong this year .

I hope the Lilly pads will be up and running soon.
[signature]
I'll add to fg's list. Royal coachman and the ever necessary woolly bugger in olive, leeches in olive too.
[signature]
Next trip Albino, try red bugger in a #12.
[signature]
I know red is a great color up there. I made a fly that had olive chenille for a body and red stranded nylon for a wing and the grayling loved it.
[signature]
Scuds [Smile]
[signature]
Never tried scuds, but why not! Good answer. Now I am thinking the Sunset Sow Bug.
[signature]
Yep tons of scuds in those alpine lakes[Smile]
[signature]
I tried a red bh crystal bugger at millers flat and had a 20"+ rainbow on before he shook me off when I tried to net him [crazy]
[signature]
Love those suggestions FG I would say dont be afraid to use a size 14 sometimes either. Those fish are really willing.
[signature]
Agreed on the #14. I just go small to ensure[Wink] Plus I can use them on the Provo...LOL
[signature]
I usually don't see all that many scuds in the lakes I fish up there so haven't fished them yet. Good to know they work as I was going to try them out soon anyways just to see how productive they can be.
[signature]