Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6/30 Cascade - McCall area report
We just got back home from the McCall area. I didn't fish much, but spent a couple hours yesterday evening at one of the small reservoirs near McCall you can drive to (not Horsethief). The trout were very active, but not very aggressive. My friend got several light hits on a spinner, but didn't connect to any. I tried both spinners and powerbait. I have never used power bait before.They liked the powerbait, but the bites were very subtle. The fish would nibble, I'd try to set the hook, and lost both bait and fish. I went through half a jar of the stuff to end up with 3 put-and-take hatchery trout.

On the way home we stopped by Cascade Reservoir with the thought of wetting a line. The water is a murky green-gray color, and visibility appeared to be very poor. We decided not to stop. Is that color and lack of clarity normal for that lake this time of year?

The Payette along Hwy 55 is running a lot higher than I would expect this late into a drought year.

ps - I saw a little grasshopper near the first lake. It's almost time to hit those high-country lakes with the big terrestrial flies. Can't wait.
[signature]