Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing doubles
I hope I'm putting this in the right forum, and people actually read this forum. I really want to tow my little aluminum boat behind my camp trailer. However, I'm not sure it is within the length requirements by the state. My truck (F350) is about 20' long, my total trailer length for my camp trailer is 33.5' (Tongue to tail), and I have a 14' boat on a trailer.
If it is over the length limit, what are we required to do? It is not within weight limits that would require a CDL.
I see people pulling rights this length or longer all the time around Strawberry, etc. Are the all getting permits, or is it not enforced very heavily?
I also need to find someone that can put the hitch on the back of my trailer. The boat has a Tongue weight of probably around 20 lbs or so, so I don't need anything really heavy duty. However, it would be nice to use the receiver occasionally to also put a cargo basket with a cooler. I guess if I went heavier duty, I could mount my generator back there, but that usually goes in my truck bed.
Anyway, any input on this, especially on the towing requirements, would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I did a quick search and the only information I could find is that you can't be over 65' total length. If you are you would have to apply for special permits.
[signature]
TJ trailer on Pennsylvania Ave. in Ogden should be able to do whatever it is you want done...... Here is some info. on towing.

[url "http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html#UT"]http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html#UT[/url]
[signature]
Good info thanks. I was thinking of doing this with my tent trailer so I could haul my toons with me.
[signature]
Nothing against any one here personally, but i think pulling doubles with a truck like your talking about should be against the law. It's not safe and most folks and their trucks and abilities are not where they should be. Just my thoughts
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Trust me when I tell you that you DO NOT want to pull a trailer behind a bumper pull trailer of any kind. And just in case you’re wondering, I AM speaking from experience. I pulled an ATV trailer w/ an ATV on it behind it and made it to Stoddard from Ogden before the fish tailing happened and launched the ATV off the trailer and tumbled down I-84. Fifth wheel RVs have the stability; bumper pull trailers DO NOT. You will see people doing it, but it is stupid, foolish, and ignorant. Once the fish tailing starts, you can’t control or stop it.[/#800000][/font]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"]
And yes, 65 feet is the max length in Utah. I’m not sure about border states like Wyoming. An over length permit for Utah is $90 per year I’ve been told by a friend in the trucking industry. If you have 5th wheel, go for it; if not, avoid it like the plague.
[/font]

[/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[#502800]RILEYFISH and dubob are right on. I've witnessed trailers on the interstate go completey whacko.[/#502800]
[#502800]The single axle trailers are particularly vulnerable to fishtailing. I would guess a lot of it depends on weight distribution, but it's an unsafe gamble.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[signature]
I can't speak for the long trailers and such, but we have an 18'6" trailer that we haul an aluminum boat and a flatbed with pontoons. If something is going to fish tail it is bad but a single trailer can do that. I use to haul our ski boat and it would fish tail with cross winds.

Personal preference I guess, but we do it all the time. Just pray for now fishtailing.
I did loose a cousin to fishtail and flip but he was just pulling a boat, so it can happen with one or two towes.
[signature]
I would agree with those advising against this. I watch many of these rigs being pulled to and from the Gorge, I am amazed more deaths do not occur from them. I would ban all of them if I had a say in it as you're going to kill someone.
[signature]
+1 on this.

While double towing can be done, I would highly recommend AGAINST it. Yes, I have done it myself, pulling a double axle 20' trailer with a 14' boat on single axle trailer behind that. My truck was a Ford F-350 crew cab long bed turbo diesel. It worked, and was relatively stable. But I only did it once, and elected to never do it again. I felt it was on the verge of disaster all the time. One small instinctive swerve to miss a road hazard or something like that may have set the whole thing off. I was a nervous wreck the entire time, with a death grip on the steering wheel, and it just wasn't worth it. Yes, bad things can happen with just a single trailer. But you have at least double the odds of it going bad with a double tow, and probably more. It isn't worth the risk.

The kicker is when I learned a good friend of mine lost his mother to a double tow rig that lost control in Woyming. She was just innocently driving the opposite way on the highway in a car, and was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I cringe every time I see a double tow rig now.
[signature]
My question is how much would it sway with it being a very small aluminum boat on a small trailer. Total weight of the 2nd trailer & boat is probably well under 500 lbs, and I would guess it to be closer to 200-300 lbs. My tow trailer is quite long and I do have an equalizer hitch for that. That thing tows straight as an arrow.
[signature]
If you feel uncomfortable then you shouldn't do it. Good choice for you.
[signature]
Double pulling the small boat w/small trailer is where you're going to run into issues. In a double pup pull the tail end trailer will always be more 'sensitive'. Extreme response to bumps and movement. As others have posted, I've done it once driving a F250+20' tent trailer+12' Aluminum boat.....was a pure nightmare. One of the few times I've been entirely uncomfortable behind the wheel. I didn't feel that I had control of the rear-most trailer and it was going to do what it wanted and I was a long for the ride.

On the other hand, while in the Military, I've driven a Duece 1/2 +3 trailers with zero issues. Mind you we never went above 40mph, but it was a super stable drive.
[signature]
One of the single most important things that have not been mentioned? Just because you can do 80, does not mean you should. I logged a couple thousand miles pulling a 26' fifth with a 20 foot ski boat behind it. Never ever had an issue, but also NEVER EVER went over 60mph.

Pulling doubles is not a big deal, but you do have to have the correct setup and drive within reason. I wish they would make it illegal to tow two bumper pulls, and limit the speed of doubles to 60.
[signature]
I agree the speed should be slower than normal (which for most nitwits out there is Mach 12 [Tongue]). I find that with my tent trailer if I go over a certain speed I may have control issues so I keep it under that.
[signature]
Just asked my buddy your question (trucker). This was his advice

Trailers of equal length you can run a triple-pup (with appropriate license). 2 Trailers of equal length, driven patiently (his exact words) will be rock steady.

He was quite clear that if you are using a standard vehicle (unless you're rocking the turbo diesel dually 5th wheel beast) it is not a good idea to run two trailers of differing lengths over highways. He actually spoke more of wind causing sway torque through canyons and losing the last trailer. Also mentioned that if you blow a tire on the rear trailer, single axle, you could have a serious problem develop real quick.

Side note, you folks who run 2x trailers on Utah highways are nuuuuuuuuuuuts. Utah highways get beat up bad.[pirate]
[signature]
I spent this winter and spring looking into this very issue because I'd LOVE to tow my 16 foot drift boat behind my 13 foot travel trailer. After posting the question on some trailer and towing forums, and talking to a few who have done it, I decided it was NOT a smart idea for me. One guy I saw actually doing it said "dont try it on the interstate" and "you cant do it through Wyoming except early in the morning" due to winds. Yes it can be done legally, but its another one of those things that just because its legal doesnt make it the right thing to do. With a fifth-wheel its not a problem. Two ball hitches in tandem is a wreck waiting to happen, so says the majority.

Riley, got any first-hand accounts of disasters you may have seen over the years?
[signature]
Seen a few just like explained. Two bumper pulls is looking for disaster. Fifth wheel is another story. However, even with a fifth wheel behind a large pick up, you usually loose sight and control with that second towed vehicle.

Just my two cents. It's not worth it.
[signature]
I drive truck as well and pull doubles daily. As professional drivers we have to go through testing and certification to pull doubles/triples and be with in all safety standards as well. In my opinion anyone considering pulling doubles of any kind should have to do the same, heck go to the driver license division and pick up the Commercial booklet there is a good start in that direction.
I don't think ANYONE should pull bumper pull to bumper pull and can't believe the state still allows it. I believe the only way this is done safely is fifth wheel to bumper pull. It doesn't take much for that back trailer to come around and if it does don't panic for the brake pedal this will only jack knife you, hit the throttle to try and straighten it out then slow it down.
Anyone thinking about pulling doubles with their toys that they've worked hard for should follow a semi pulling triples down the freeway for fifteen minutes or so and watch the sway in that third trailer. Its always a little alarming to see. I believe that is closest idea as to what two bumper pulls together will do. I have a few hundreds of thousands of miles pulling doubles behind the wheel and strongly advise against this unless its done in the right combo. I honestly wish the DOT would start paying attention to what standard vehicles are pulling down our roads.
Good luck!
[signature]
I triple haul all the time. Gmc 2500hd 6.0 gasser, 24ft fifth wheel, 18ft boat. You just have to be extra cautious and know your limitations. On strait, flat roads with little traffic I go 65mph max. Every thing else is 55–60. Be in the mindset to plow through deer and everything else, usually much less damaging than ending up on your side. Doing it with a bumper pull is a accident waiting to happen. You just can't argue with the way the weight is distributed, even with a fancy hitch. Another key is tires. I run ten ply e rated tires on the truck, 8 ply on the 5er, and 6 ply on the boat. Those are the heaviest that will fit on each rig. The less side wall flex you have the less you wiggle. I also installed drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads front and rear. I don't trust those dinky trailer brakes. By the way, you MUST have brakes on both trailers in utah to be legal. Also, you only pull into a gas station once that don't have enough room. Unhooking every thing just to get out is a pain. But all in all it is definitely worth having the house and boat there all in one shot. [fishon]
[signature]