Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lanier Fishing Report
LAKE LANIER FISHING REPORT<br>by Bill Vanderford<br><br> Surface temperatures at Lake Lanier have finally reached into the 50’s, and all of the fish are going wild. Less water release at the dam and recent rains have raised the lake level to less than 14 feet below normal pool.<br> The warmer weather is having a very positive effect on fish activity. As I predicted, spring fishing is already showing that it may be the best we have had in years!<br> Though I’ve caught quite a few stripers on the south end of the lake lately, most of the striped bass activity is being seen from Brown’s Bridge to just above Clarks Bridge. Flat-lined live baits are probably the best bet unless surface feeding is seen. Cast 1/4 ounce Swirleybird Spinners, 1/2 ounce Roadrunners with a 3-inch white grub as a trailer, or 1/8th ounce weighted fluke-type lures into these visibly feeding fish for best results.<br> Black bass, white bass, crappie, and smaller striped bass are inhaling 1/8th ounce Swirleybirds or 1/8th ounce leadhead jigs dressed with Ranger 3-inch curlytailed grubs along most shorelines above Browns Bridge. The ideal depth seems to be 5 to 10 feet.<br> The walleye population has finally started their annual spawning migration into the shoals of the upper Chattahoochee River. Even a few white bass have already been caught up near Lula in the upper “Hooch”, and more are on the way. I even caught a few largemouth, spotted, and shoal bass above Lula in the Chattahoochee recently. It is going to be a fantastic spring fishing season! <br> Trout fishing in the Chattahoochee River below the dam is great for both rainbow and browns. The new “Chattahoochee Special” spinner is proving to be THE lure for trout all over the river this year. They are available by sending $5.00 to FISHING LURE, PO BOX 1222, Lawrenceville, GA 30046.<br>Bill Vanderford has won numerous awards for his writing and photography, and has been inducted into the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame as a Legendary Guide. He can be reached at 770-962-1241 or at his web site: www.fishinglanier.com<br><br>Living to Fish and Fishing to Live<br>Bill Vanderford<br>www.fishinglanier.com<br>770-962-1241