Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge 6/30-7/2
The koke action is phenomenal right now. I fished the WY side (Buckboard area) one day and then down at Mustang Ridge/Jarvies the next days. Caught kokes on what was recommended (pink dodger and squid) but what really worked even better was a spoon behind a dodger! I caught bigger fish on the spoons and more of them! I used both pink and blue spoons with great success. I was trolling only 25' down before the sun came up and then went down to about 50-60' after the sun was up. Trolling out in front of Mustang Ridge was good as was the Jarvies Canyon area. I also picked up a few smaller lakers using flatfish without a dodger in the middle of the afternoons targeting fish on humps in the channels. The koke bite was incredible from about 5am to 6:30am and then it would gradually slow down and shut off about 11am. It would pick back up about 6pm and then shut off about 8:30 or so. I only took one picture of my fish finder screen.

The smallmouth fishing was absolutely the best I've ever seen. However, the vast majority of the fish were small 5-8". You can still pick off a large one if you weed through the small ones. Top water with a floating #5 Rapala was hot. The cicadas were everywhere on top of the water and the fish were in a feeding frenzy. I was getting hits on top on just about every cast. Taking a kid up there to enjoy some top water action would be a blast. If you had a fly rod and a giant cicada pattern you could have a blast too.
[signature]
Great report, it sure sounds fun. Were the Koke larger on the Wyoming side? Thanks for the details later J
[signature]
Great report, what spoons were you using?
[signature]
I was there (Buckboard & Lucerne) from 28 -30 June and we had largely the same experience with the kokes, smaller lakers, and a few rainbows. We were using the squid and dodger as well although we did mix it up with some Jakes, Super Dupers, etc. We did the best on the pink squid and dodger set-up though.

We looked for the smallmouth too but didn't have the success you did. We found some of the big ones, but we had to work for them. We didn't fish anything on top though.That's great that you had that kind of success with the bass as well.
[signature]
We're heading out this evening. Thanks for the timely report!!! Very helpful and pretty much killed my productive here at work[Wink]! By the way, do you know if the Cut Through is open?
[signature]
Thanks for that great report with nice details scott. Sounds like you got everything and more of what you targeted.
[signature]
I do not believe the cut is open. I chickened out last week when my sonar said it was two feet.
[signature]
I have been fishing the gorge for bass for the past month with disappointing results. Every trip out I catch one or two bass in the 3 pound range and that is it. I have been hitting all of my old spots from the confluence to the pipeline. What part of the lake were you on? I would really love to get on some good ol bass action before the end of the summer.
[signature]
I was fishing for bass up in Jarvies canyon and Dutch John Draw area. The fish are small, but the action is non-stop. A 12" would be considered a decent fish up near the dam area.
[signature]
I guess I will have to broaden my horizons and try it down that way. A little more quantity will be a nice change even if I have to sacrifice quality. There is something about casting all day for one nice fish that I have never been too thrilled about. Thanks for the help!!!
[signature]