Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My best Mac ever, Fish Lake 03-05-2014
Great report! I love that place; you never know what you'll catch there, but you'll catch something. I too have been fortunate enough to land a nice Mac there. What is really great about Fish Lake is if the Mac's aren't biting, you can go after the bow's, splakes or entertain the kids with perch. Thank you for releasing this trophy for our next generation to enjoy. You'll love that new ProXS Merc on your Lund !!!
[signature]
You guys may have noticed I didn't respond to the many positive comments. I had to work Friday and Saturday in my area of responsibility which is a canyon where the sun doesn't even shine. No cell service and obviously no internet without the satellite system that is only used during the summer.

Thanks everyone for your upbeat comments. Thanks to PBH for his information on the Lake Trout age estimates.

I have decided to at least investigate the cost of a replica mount of my Big Mac. I know a fish that size is fairly rare and quite uncommon for Fish Lake. The pros at the Gorge get them all the time but I feel fortunate to catch this beauty while ice fishing with my good friend Will.

If the cost is reasonable I may get the mount since this is likely the largest mac I'll ever get while ice fishing. Of course if I do get the mount, I will catch a bigger one next winter.......but isn't that why we do this crazy sport?

Mike
[signature]
Guess there's not a "tree ring" method for aging fish. As said - well done on a fine catch, good handling and courteous release. Thanks for sharing.

My dad went on an expediton in Greenland a few moons ago, and they took ice-cores drilling into the arctic depths. You could clearly see the era of industrialization when carbon deposits began. Something to be said for the global warming progenitors.

Just wonder if there is a method to "carbon date" a laker. Sounds kinda kinky I know. Maybe a mercury profile.
[#0000FF]It is possible to accurately age a fish...without carbon dating. There are two small bony structures in the heads of most fishes called otoliths. These build up rings each year...just like tree rings.

The downside of using otoliths to determine a fish's age is that you have to kill the fish to do it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
A friend of mine works closely with WY game and fish here on Jackson lake. He uses his boat to help net and tag lake trout. He also catches a lot of the tagged fish and what we have found is a pound a year is about right. Like you said, you can't tell what age they change to an all fish diet, but when they do, at least on this lake, a pound a year seems about it. A twelve pounder netted eight years ago weighed 20 when it was caught again. It could be different on fish lake ... Lots more forage !
[signature]
Nice fish, good job releasing him. My question isn't how old the fish is but how old will he get.
[signature]
[#484848]Nice fish ..... Nice Picture.[/#484848]
[#484848]I had a friend from Cal. that I used to fish Soda Lake with in the old days that was a photographer. His name was Chuck Kuhl and his wife did fish portraits with chalk and then they sprayed the picture to freeze the chalk in place.[/#484848]
[#484848]She would do it from the measurements and a picture and it was a beautiful keepsake. [/#484848]
[#484848]I'm not sure if anyone on this site knows a local artist that would do anything similar, but I liked it better than a mount or a replica and it only tooke her a few minutes.[/#484848]
[signature]
topH20, Congrats on a great fish!! Good on ya for letting him go!![Wink]
[signature]
Great story and very nice fish there, Mike. Congratulations. I know a fish taxidermist that may be able to help you out. PM sent
[signature]