Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First pontoon outing
My wife and I went out to a pond in Eagle to try out the new Pontoon boat. Picked up a Creek Company Voyager 2 frameless while it was on sale for half off on Amazon. She wanted something we could both go out on. I think I can manage it by myself, and I can always rig up a platform or find some use for the extra space and stability (like a cooler with food and drinks as one reviewer did).

Only had one issue, the AC inverter for the car isn't powerful enough for the old pump I brought, so we were stuck with the hand pump that came with it. Tiring, but it did the job fairly well.

Pulled the poles out, tested out the rowing, dropped a jig next to the bank on the far side where I couldn't reach from shore and hooked one as soon as it hit the water. An 11" or so bass, then later another bass, and a little bluegill. My wife also had a few bites on some fake red worms and fake maggots. Mostly we rowed around testing it out, explored the pond, and looked for good fishing spots.

Also had a chance to try my fish finder for the first time, a Hummingbird 385c. Just dropped the sensor over the foot bar, so it didn't work so well when we were moving very fast, but it let me know the depth, and pinged me quite a few times when we had some fish below us. I can't wait to try it out a few other paces, like Lowell and Swan Falls, maybe McTucker, Roberts, and Blacktail when I'm on that side of the state.
[signature]
Fantastic! You are the first one I have read that bought the 2 so I am looking forward to your reports and pictures[Wink]
Interesting boat. Looks like you can flip that front seat riser over to make a nice big deck up front.

I recently came up with a killer sonar mount out of a Ram ball system, cutting board, 2" nylon strap with quick clips and a 14" piece of PVC.
Fun coming up with ideas for accessories.
[signature]
Doing a float from Swan Falls to Celebration park would be a fun outing. I have floated that in a pontoon and there is not much scary stuff there but a whole lot of fun. Keep us posted how you like it. The voyager one person boat is a interesting boat that I could see uses for. Ron
[signature]
The platform probably would work, the added seat for the front person has a flap and some straps. Now to see if I can figure out how to do it, even just a board to lay across the pontoons with the seats supporting the middle. I would have had pictures, but my phone is having some issues with a wipe/reset and may have to be sent in.

I learned that I need to scoot my seat back more and maybe deflate it some so the oars don't hit my stomach when I bring them out of the water, and putting the raised seat back there wouldn't work for rowing but definitely might for a trolling motor...

And Ron, floating down to Celebration Park does sound fun, but it may be a while before I do that. I'm still a little cautious on anything big. I've never been a big rafter/boater/water skier, but a trip down without all the gear and a better life jacket and I might just get the itch to fish all the awesome places I had to pass without a pole. [Image: happy.gif]

Thanks everyone for the suggestions Smile
[signature]
[quote Bardic]

And Ron, floating I've never been a big rafter/boater/water skier, but a trip down without all the gear and a better life jacket and I might just get the itch to fish all the awesome places I had to pass without a pole. [.img]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone for the suggestions Smile[/quote]

I can't even swim. All it takes is a little familiarity with the boat and desire to see what you have never seen. If i can do it anyone can. Ron
[signature]
Great! That looks like a lot of fun!

Ron, if you don't swim, where is your pfd? Do you wear an inflatable one?
[signature]
I always have one on the boat that is the law. I use it when the need arises. Ron
[signature]
In my opinion you ought to at least WEAR an inflatable one. Probably never ever use it, but if you did need it, it would be worth the cost.

I have a very health respect for the water, and I swim well.
[signature]
I appreciate you concern mother. I also have a very healthy respect for the water. I am well aware of the dangers. I do not require a lecture on the topic of safety. Ron
[signature]
[quote idahoron]I appreciate you concern mother.[/quote]

LoL! I don't think any one is out to lecture anyone, we're just looking out for our online friends. (And I'd definitely miss all of those videos & pics you post!)

I've lost enough friends on the water that I always wear my PFD.
But it is a choice we all have, whether we wear it or not.
[signature]
Your choice.

I realize you are a big boy, and that you don't need any lectures. My conscience required that I at least give my opinion. I have done so.
[signature]
Thanks mom. [Wink]
Ron
[signature]
[quote idahoron]I appreciate you concern mother. I also have a very healthy respect for the water. I am well aware of the dangers. I do not require a lecture on the topic of safety. Ron[/quote]

Harsh!
[signature]
Give it a rest Moderator.
[signature]
huh?
[signature]
Your off topic give it a rest.
[signature]
[quote idahoron]Your off topic give it a rest.[/quote]
If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black.
[signature]
Sorry, Bardic, I am the one who really sidetracked this and got it off topic.

Do you have any pictures of your new ride? I am interested to see how well two people fit. How heavy is it?
[signature]
And I just came up with a killer Sonar mount for frameless[Wink]
[signature]
I wasn't going to reply to the likes of you and yours but here it goes again because you don't seem to understand. Give it a rest. Get on topic or get off the thread.
[signature]