Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First ice trip for 2003.
[size 1]I was the first person to attempt to blaze the trail to the dam. The road was snow packed and in some places the drifts got a couple feet deep. I had made it about 3/4 of the way up there and had given up on making it to the top when skeeter and his uncle showed up and proved it could be done. Thanks to those guys for not making me drag my ice shelter up that hill.

Anyways, the ice is about 8 inches thick back at the inlet and 4 inches thick down by the dam. All crystal clear solid ice. There was about an inch of snow on top of it, but the entire lake is safe fishable ice.

As the day rolled on about a total of ten guys showed up. I didnt see the IFG. At least I was too busy catching fish to look for the sexual inuendo printed on the back of his coat.

So how was the fishing you ask? Same as all early season ice fishing. Good.

The morning started out slow for me. My old man had five fish before I had one bite. I finally got a couple, but in the afternoon, the fishing really picked up. Big schools moved in and camped out under us at times.

I lost track of how many fish we caught.

All cutts. No whitefish. Most fish were 14 inchers but we caught a few in the 17 inch range.

Either way, one heck of a first ice fishing trip for the year.

As most of you early season ice anglers will know, a lot of fish hang out right under the ice. 1 - 4 ft down where unless the swim right under the transducer, your finders cone angle is not wide enough to see them. So the best technique is to drop your lure about four feet down, and watch your finder, then if you see fish deep, drop down to them.

Half the fish I caught were right under the ice and my finder never marked them. Had I dropped my lure to 20 ft and just left it, I wouldnt have caught any of those shallow fish.

The majority of the fish were caught right under the ice or suspended at 20 ft in 46 ft deep water. A few fish were caught in 10 - 15 ft, and none of the fish that showed up near the bottom, 30 ft or more even bit.

My dad kept one 14 inch fish for my himself and my mom. All my fish were released. And thats important when you consider the size of lake that woodfruff is. Its such a small lake, that early season ice fishing over harvest could easily be done. So, if you go up there, please use wisdom and practice selective harvest.

The bite was very light. Most times it wasnt even a bite, but the fish picking up your lure in his mouth and there was just a slight weight change when the weight of your lure went away. So good equipment was a must.

I was glad to be inside a shelter where you could remove gloves and coats and have bare fingers on the line detecting the ultra light bites.

I suspect that most guys who werent catching fish were either too deep, or didnt have thier pole in thier hands and were missing the bites they were getting. [/size]
[signature]
WAhoooooo

our first fishing report,,, kooooool

Thanks predator..

Bouy would I like to get in to some cut throught trout.... I have yet to log one in my list of fish to catch. they arent any in my neck of the woods, but maybe soon I will have some trout action, I got a big laker been haunting me this past summer. I am going to log in some hours chasing after him. he has stayed just out of my reach all summer long.

ya got any tips for lippin him through the ice? I know the first thing I have to do is drill a 12 inch hole to get him out. after that, I have never fished for trout through the ice.
[signature]
The only tip for lippin a laker is "Dont do it". they have teeth you know. Not big long needle musky teeth, or dog like walleye teeth, but lots of little buggers that mess you up before you know they are there.

I dont do lakers through the ice. At least not yet. But I would use a lip grabber device and keep your hands on the rod.
[signature]
thanks,

we have rainbows and browns in the lake as well, I am hopin to hook in to some of them as well.

I am assuming a 12 pound test line will suffice.

I picked up a mepps weedless spoon I am planning to drop down on them. I am hopin minnow tails will be the ticket for these bruits.
[signature]
Sounds like the first ice of the season treated you well Pred. Good to hear of ice success other than Scofield. Can't wait to get my first ice trip of the year under my belt. Thanks for sharing..
[signature]