Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!!
[quote Ktrout]

Not sure what you mean by a few, but I know of at least three lakes in California alone...[/quote]

Apologies. My comment should have included "in the eastern U.S.".

It was out here in the West that landlocked stripers really started reproducing.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Only live worms and crawdads allowed in Utah. But we can and do use several other kinds of minnows...and anchovies...shipped in frozen from the west coast. They work great...chunked or whole. Some guys troll them with a special head harness rig that makes them swim and wiggle. Is that what you were talking about?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Not the rig i'm talking about. We use a specialized type of jig head that keeps them upright. We typically use single strand steel because of the toothy critters in the ocean, but you can substitute the steel for fluoro if you wanted to. Depending on the bait, will depend on how you rig them. With cigar minnows, it's a simple rig using the jig head. I like to "break" their back before I stick them on, similar to what you do for ballyhoo. Just exaggerate the swimming motion of the fish, which does the trick, then rig them.

Send me a picture of what you're using for dead bait. Maybe I can recommend a rig. I'd order some cigar minnows too. I'm going to try them in Wateree.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Our closest stripers are in Lake Powell...several hours away. Sadly, I have not been down there for a long time...and I don't fish stripers much any more. Now when I lived in Sacramento California, I hit them both in the rivers and the bays...and in the ocean.

We do have wipers within an hour of Salt Lake and they hit several kinds of artificials just fine.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Is this what you were talking about?
[url "http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=412:jp-rig-anchovy-slow-trolling&catid=43:stripers&Itemid=11"]http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=412:jp-rig-anchovy-slow-trolling&catid=43:stripers&Itemid=11[/url]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sho' 'nuff.

A takeoff on Pacific rigging of anchovies and sardines for mooching for salmon...and other species.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]