Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aurora Reservoir Trout
[left][size 4]As the water cools, Aurora Reservoir trout heat up!
[size 3]Article and Pictures By: [url "mailto:donald@coloradofisherman.com"][#0000ff]Donald Broeren[/#0000ff][/url], ColoradoFisherman.com[/size][/size][/left] [left][size 4]Even with the low water level[/size][size 4], trout action at Aurora Reservoir is really picking up as the water temperatures drop. The trout are cruising the shallows in search of prey, trying to fatten up before winter. Shore anglers do just as well as boaters (yes, the boat ramp has plenty of water) this time of year. [/size][/left] [left][/left] [left][size 4]Look for the trout (mostly rainbows with an occasional brown) to be scattered around the lake in water less than 20 ft. deep. The larger fish seem to stay a bit deeper than the small ones, usually near points or underwater structure. Some of my favorite spots for larger fish include the long point in between Senac and Lonetree coves, the point straight out from the boat ramp, and the dam. [/size][/left] [left][size 4]I recommend trolling or casting small crankbaits, spoons, and spinners. I have had success using both of these techniques but I think the fishing is more fun when casting. The forage base at Aurora consists of crayfish, yellow perch, and spot tail shiners. I always try to use lures that look like one of those three. I usually use 6 lb test line, occasionally I’ll go down to 4 lb if I’m not getting many bites on the larger line. I prefer the 6 lb line because you never know when a big wiper or walleye is going to nail your lure, you would have to be awfully lucky to get one of those in the net on 4 lb line. [/size][/left] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1763;][/center] [left][size 4]The average rainbow is 12-14 inches, but I have caught quite a few over 20 inches. The biggest trout I’ve ever caught at Aurora was a brown, 24 inches long and about 5 lbs. [/size][/left] [left][size 4]Fishing should remain good until the lake ices over, usually sometime in December. Ice fishing can also be excellent if you don’t mind freezing your rear end off. Keep in mind that the daily bag and possession limit is 2 trout per person. I’ll see you on the water![/size] [/left] [left][size 4]Aurora Reservoir is located two miles east of Gun Club Road on Quincy Avenue in Aurora. There is a daily fee of $4 per vehicle. Boating is restricted to hand propelled or electric motors only. The park is open from dawn to dusk.[/size][/left] [left][size 4]I am new to this message board, I was excited to see it. I have been fishing in Colorado for almost 20 years, I look forward to being a contributor to this group. My email address is [/size][url "mailto:donald@coloradofisherman.com"][size 4]donald@coloradofisherman.com[/size][/url][size 4]. I enjoy answering fishing related questions, if you have one I'll do my best to answer it. Happy Holidays![/size][/left]
Hi Don,

thanks for your contribution. we look forward to having you as a member here, you wont find a better bunch of guys on the net than who you find here at bigfaishtackle.

nice lookin swim thing you caught there [Wink].

I edited your post only for pic size. we want to keep the max size pics down to 400 pixils in width max.

do you get in to any Hard water fishing?
[signature]
Dave,

I do ice fish pretty regularly, not yet this year though. I am still clinging to the last days of open water. I have heard that most of the mountain lakes are iced up but I always wait until the lower elevation waters freeze before I head to the high country.

Aurora Reservoir is awfully hard to beat this time of year, the trout and walleye are trying to fatten up for winter. The walleye have gone deep already, last Wednesday I was catching them in 30-40 feet of water. No real big ones this year, most of them are in the 18-22 inch range.

My first ice trip this year will probably be to Granby, I love fishing for macks when I get the chance. Does anyone on this board fish for macks? I usually have no problem catching them, I just wish I could figure out how to catch some of those monsters. I usually catch the little ones, 16-22 inches. A guy sent me a picture of a 44 pounder he caught at Blue Mesa last year. What a fish!
[signature]
we would love to hear about our adventures on both hard and soft water. any time you get the chance.

we have a bunch of guys here that regularly target macks.

drop on down to the utah board and ask bearlakemack about latching on to them monsters. they fish for macks wipers and cuts from what I can remember from reading the post on that board.

thay are a good bunch down there. just dont tell them I sent ya... lol... just kiddin.[sly]
[signature]