Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry July 8th thru 10th
Here is another Strawberry report. July is generally the best month for me for catching kokes and the large Cutts. So I decided to take a few days and camp. I stayed in Strawberry Bay.

Hit the reservoir on Monday at 5:00 p.m. and fished until 8:00 p.m. Caught 19 fish; 1 small koke (15 - inches) and the rest small Cutts with the largest going 19-inches. Kokes were not in my usual place.

Returned Tuesday a.m. and fished from 6:00 until noon. Caught 30 fish; no kokes, 2 small rainbows and the balance slot Cutts (20-inches being the largest)

Fished Tuesday p.m. between 5:00 & 8:00. Caught 20 fish; 2 kokes, and the balance slot Cutts (largest 19-inches) I thought I had finally located the Kokes in Strawberry Bay late in the evening.

Returned Wednesday at 6:00 a.m. Today I had two friends with me "30 below zero" & "special ed". We fished to 2:00 p.m. Caught a total of 70 fish using 4 down riggers & four rods pulling 6 bugs through the water (2 cheaters). We boated 10 kokes, 4 - 6 rainbows and the balance small & slot Cutts. (largest probably 18-inches) We lost 3 other Kokes at the boat and probably had another 6 hit and unzip on the way to the boat. We found the majority of the kokes between 25 & 30 feet of water. The largest Koke weighed 2 lbs 13 oz. We lost/missed a lot of fish today. There was very little dead time in the 8 hours we fished. Fishing started to slow around 1:30 p.m.

The first photo has the 10 kokes and 2 rainbows. The rainbows are in the fore ground.

The second photo is the "catch of the day" & "special ed" for perspective. Ed is a big man 6' 5".

I posted a picture of the dodger and squid we caught most all of the kokes on. It is a RMT dodger & plankton squids (the flourescent red & the light pink w/white head). Not sure what you call these dodgers? I think the Marina may sale these plankton squids & dodgers - looked like they had a good selection of RMT. For some reason, you do not find them in most stores?
[signature]
How many of the kokes came on your cheaters? PM me please if you prefer not to share public.
[signature]
Today not many, which generally is not the case. We had one rod at 40 feet with a cheater at 35 feet. The second rod was set at 35 feet with a cheater at 30 feet. The 3rd & 4th rods were set between 25 & 30 feet with no cheaters. Most of the kokes were caught on the 3rd & 4th rods using the squids & dodgers shown.

Running 4 down riggers, I need to stagger the depths to keep from tangling them up.

On the first rod -I was using a white squid on a Kokanee Creek silver flash dodger.

One the 2nd rod - I was using a RMT fusion dodger with a purple & green squid.
[signature]