Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propel systems
Does the Native pedal system compare to the hobie mirage system? I would like to hear ups and downs from both if possible.
[signature]
Have never seen a Native system, but I believe it's a propeller-based system. I don't know if it lifts out as easily as the Hobie system does, but if it doesn't then shallow water might present more of a problem for the Native.

My Hobie is a dream, for whatever that's worth.

Edit to add: I just found and watched a video on the Native Propel system, and it looks to be a fine setup. It does allow you to pedal in reverse, which a Hobie does not. I don't find that much more than a minor inconvenience, but it might be more important to some.
[signature]
A little late but I have used both even though I own neither. Both run very heavy but are excellent kayaks. As mention the propel allows you to pedal in reverse. Not that important on lakes but great for fishing tide changes in channels in the ocean. The other main practical difference is the Native Watercraft has a fixed depth propeller. The mirage blades depth becomes shallower with shorter strokes of your legs. This is handy coming and out of shallows but isn't idiot proof. The newer native watercraft are more comfortable but I wouldn't call Hobie Mirage uncomfortable. Both tend to take weight off your rear and are more comfortable over paddle kayaks on long outings.
[signature]