Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
optics battle; spotting scope vs. big binoculars
Ok so I am in the market for some new optics. I have learned that glassing can be very effective method to locate game, so i would like to know everyone's thoughts on if they prefer to carry a spotting scope or a large set of binoculars. By large I mean bigger than 10x42 magnification. What are the pros and cons to both and If you were to buy what would you get for a long term investment? Also where is the most bang for your buck?
[signature]
10x50 nikon $99 cheap yes but best $99 i have ever spent. I also have a nikon 16x48x65 or something like that scope and still use my binos 10 times more.
[signature]
I see a lot of Nikon out there, but what model? there is the monarch, the action, the trailblazer, and probably others. A friend owns nikon monarch in 12x56 and let me tell you with those things you could probably count and antelopes eyelashes from 500 yards.
[signature]
Nikon 10X50CF all i can find on mine.
[signature]
I am pretty sure I have made my mind up. I am going for some Vortex Daimondback 12x50 bino'd and a vortex doubler. The diamondback had very good reviews from optics planet and Binos.com so I decided what the heck.
[signature]
Right on! Good luck this yr.
[signature]
I have had a spotting scope for 6 years and have only used it 6 times...... only used for trophy hunting.... good bino's are hard too beat... used 85% of the time, I hear the Vortex Vipers are good, Diamond backs are probably good also, I use the Cabela's euro bino's and there great.... if I could afford it I would buy 10x42 Swarovski's...
Matt
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I agree if I could justify spending $1500 then I would go Swarovski all day long. Unfortunately my budget is under $500 so I think I found a good match with those Vortex. I will let you all know how I do. I failed to draw on all the hunts I put in for except an extra whitetail tag for 63AX. Could be an interesting year unless 2nd chance is good to me. [Wink]
[signature]