Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a spinning reel that functions in cold?
Thought the best place to ask......was here...........

My shimanos have failed me numerous times........

Have tried different lube numerous times with NO luck..........

Any other names brands for trout and northern reels?

Please?

Len *spinner* Harris

[url "http://troutadventures.net/"]http://troutadventures.net/[/url]
[signature]
I would sugest you take your reels apart and clean all the lube out. and lightly use gun oil for your lube. it will not stiffin up on you.

just so long as you are not throwing your reels in the water the gun oil will hold up nicely.

as for a good reel, if ya like ultra lights. I use shakespere's Synergy #200 it will handle an 18 inch bucket mouth I am sure it will hold up to most of what ever you run in to. shakespere makes the same design in larger modles for larger than panfish action. I am not sure of the numbers, but if you like I will look it up for you.

I would not put this size reel up against a large laker, pike, muskey, sturgeon or other large game fish. I would use a larger size of the same modle. these reels are nice and symple in design so there is less to freeze up on you.

I fish sub feezing temps and know exactly what you are talking about with the sticking up thing. my summer reels dont stand up to the cold at all. when the temps start droping to 40 degrees the bail and cranks start stiffining right up. when the temps drop to 20* the bail becomes a manual bail, I have to place it down by hand. the reel feels like a 3 pound bass on the line. when the temps drops to O* my summer reel becomes a hand wind reel. no better than a spool of line tied to a stick. when the temps drop to -20* the bail wont even open. this has more to do with the lube I am using,

by the way dont use whale oil because it freezes up. it is a good lube in worm temps but when the temps get down to 20 it is frozen compleatly. Missed many a deer because of making the mistake of using it on my guns. wont make that mistake again.... there aint nothig worse that having a 10 pointer staring you in the fase and having a fireing pin that is frozen.

any way back to the topic, you wont go wrong with the modle I had sugested, the modle size "200" is rated for 2 lb test line holding 150 yards of line and 4 lb test holding 90 yards of line.
[signature]