Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elusive Wasatch Trout
Went up to Red Pine Fork in search of some Wasatch Trout. After my last Wasatch skunking on the 4th, it was time to redeem myself.

The Salt Lake Overlook in Red Pine Fork is always worth stopping at.

[Image: IMG_9375_zpsaa4dcdf0.jpg]

The clouds got darker and more active....which meant it was time for me to get more active as well.

[Image: IMG_9382_zpsddea1f54.jpg]

The trail had an outstanding view time to time.

[Image: IMG_9399_zpsdaa27192.jpg]

However it was Red Pine Lake that took the cake.

[Image: IMG_9408_zps23d63d1b.jpg]

2 guys were already commencing fishing operations on the inlet, so I moved around the lake, getting occasional interest, but no takers on the fly.

[Image: IMG_9425_zpsa5191bca.jpg]

It started to rain, and when I finally got a taker, I lost it right near my feet. Exact same thing happened the very next cast. OUCH! I packed up, skunked again.......talk about elusive Wasatch Trout.

On the way down the noise of the rain, and the streams, was actually kinda peaceful. Seemed like Sunday was hiking, with the bonus of fishing.

[Image: IMG_9447_zps72ff4ab9.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9458_zps78275168.jpg]
[signature]
Awesome pics and nice report, too bad the trout were not smart enough to hang on but it still looks like a great trip. I've never heard of this area, is it near the Mirror lake highway?
I responded to report post, I hope I removed what you wanted[:/].
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Awesome pics and nice report, too bad the trout were not smart enough to hang on but it still looks like a great trip. I've never heard of this area, is it near the Mirror lake highway?
I responded to report post, I hope I removed what you wanted[:/].[/quote]

You did well WH2.....occasionally I forget to log out of my twins account.

Red Pine Lake is in Little Cottonwood Canyon. TDT and I go backcountry skiing + ice fishing there, and on occasion, we visit the place during the open water months as well. Beautiful area....beautiful fish too.

This year has been tough in the Wasatch Lakes. Elusive Wasatch Trout for sure. Next trip I will be sure to bring the spin gear along, and eventually if it comes down to it...........bait.
[signature]
Well written (as always) and beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting.
[signature]
Somehow I knew you'd get the skunk!

Well at least you didn't drag up the ice auger for that kind of action. [Wink]
[signature]
Wow, those pictures are awesome. The clouds in that second picture are amazing.

What kind(s) of trout are up in those lakes? Also, are bait and/or float tubes allowed in all of the lakes up there?
[signature]
Really nice photos. Sorry you got skunked.
[signature]
Bonneville Cutthroat Trout are the main species up there to catch. Although a Brook Trout gets pulled out by an angler from time to time.

Bait is allowed.

Float tubing is as well......however it is watershed, so no swimming and waders are required.....much like Little Dell.
[signature]