Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spin/Fly Combo Advice
Hi all, my husband's birthday is approaching and our two teenage sons have come to me for advice on a rod and reel set they are interested in getting their dad. I have been fishing twice in my lifetime and am no help.
They are looking at the:
Spin/Fly Combo Outfit (Item #:TA274215) from L.L. Bean for $139.00.

We are a backpacking/camping family that spends most of our time in the Southeastern part of the Missouri Ozark National Scenic Riverways and streams area. We have seen small bass, trout, sunfish and various spotted suckers and such. My husband is completely new to fishing. He has expressed an interest in learning though he's not sure of spinning or fly reel fishing, hence the boys looking at a combo package. I'm concerned that the item is made in China and might be junk. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
[signature]
I wouldn't go cheap for his first introduction into fishing. Poor quality gear for beginners tends to leave a bad taste in their mouth.

I'm no fly fisherman, so I really can't speak to that. Flygoddess, Dryrod, and a few others are well versed on that topic.

In regards to the spinning tackle, i'd go for a quality lite or ultra light combo. If you're back packing and camping, he will appreciate the shorter rod length, which is typically in the 5'6 range. In streams and such, it will handle about anything you run into, when paired with a quality braid line like Power Pro.

Check out this link:

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Presiden...040610323/

That is a very high quality and user friendly combo that is held in high regard from beginners to pro's. It's very hard to beat from a quality and pricing stand point. Add 6 lb Power Pro braid line and you've got a really nice outfit.
[signature]
Thank you Bryan for the suggestion, I'm going to send the boys that route.
[signature]