Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down sizing
Spent three days up at Washington Lake. Fished each day on the average of 4 to 6 hours from the boat.
I was using the Predator that weighs in at 14 lbs naked. This thing moves so easy I also decided to try my old modified Minn Kota 30 and the small Werker battery.
Ran the boat on 1 most the time with an occasional 2 with wind and had plenty of power when I came in.
So, looks like I found a new use for that smaller motor
[signature]
Oh and as for the fishing, I was using a Type III and an intermediate. Flies were California Leech, Gartside softhackle and Gurgler and white crystal buggers.
A lot of double rainbows, but a surprise Tiger/ Bow double.
[Image: 033_zps79d57bb7.jpg]
[Image: 019_zpsd7af63f8.jpg]
[Image: 011_zps1aab5f1b.jpg]
[Image: 001_zpsfc086104.jpg]

Also, found out that out by the island is 80 feet deep. Seem to be a little bigger fish deeper.
[signature]
Good fish! Looks like you got away from some of the heat and had a great trip. About how many amp hrs is that small battery rated for?
[signature]
It reads 33 A.H. @ 12
[signature]
You got some good mileage. It must not take much to push (pull) you around! [laugh] [laugh]
[signature]
I do think it is the boat. Light weight and very buoyant.
[signature]
I am sure that the buoyancy of that light boat is a big part of it. How is it in the wind? Much different than the Renegade?

I was surprised at how well the Renegade handled in the wind... better than my much heavier and shorter Sportsman's (Outcast) pontoon.
[signature]
[quote cpierce]You got some good mileage. It must not take much to push (pull) you around! [laugh] [laugh][/quote]

There's more weight/stability to wind pressure than you think with this setup. Weight 14 + 35 batt + 15 TM + 10 equipment + passenger 110?= 184+# estimate. Plus using legs below water acts like a keel for stability and fins like a drag chute against wind pressure even if you don't peddle the fins...

Pon
[signature]
It is great in the wind and very responsive. Just point feet down and you stop.

Actually, I am posting this because of the interest in the Uintas and the Tubing forum was kinda quiet.
[signature]
Very nice FG! I was up at mirror this past week camping, fishing, and getting rained out. I caught a few small slimers on a woolly bugger and a spoon. Had my daughter and her friend out there with me as we'll. I guess the biggest catch I had was when I went and fished a guy out of the lake that fell out of his canoe.
[signature]
I KNOW! What's up with people falling out of boats. Last Sunday I saw two canoes tip over and 3 Kayaks. One Kayak was a mom and tiny daughter! Dang! I will stick with pontoon, thank you.
However, I did have a friend fall asleep on his pontoon and fall head first in the drink...LOL Woke up real quick! And yes he had his PFD on.
[signature]
I am glad this guy had his PFD on. I was half a lake away and had my motor on full to get to him. Another canoe got there just after I did and we were able to pull him to shallower water where he could get back up. I noticed his setup made his boat top heavy. He had a seat attached to the rear seat which probably helped his little swim happen. Canoes just not made for high profiles.[crazy]
[signature]