Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber River With My First Fly Rod
I took my fly rod out for the first time today. I decided to hit the Weber, near Judd lane. After a good hour of getting tangled and a little frustration, just before i was ready to give up, I kinda figured it out. I missed my first few hits, but finally landed a nice little brown. I need a lot more practice fishing different sections of the river. Are there ever fish eating in the 'riffle' sections of a river? After 4 hours or so I'd caught 3 browns and 1 white fish. Does anyone eat those white fish? Are they trash fish? They look like carp.

Does anyone have recommendations for other places to fly fish within an hour of the salt lake valley? Somewhere that I could practice casting, with more open areas and maybe catch a fish or two? Lakes or streams.
[signature]
Congrats on your first outing! Now your going to get addicted. The Middle and Lower can get productive when there's no "tube hatch". If you have a tube or toon I would try some lakes like DC, The Nelle, Rockport or even Grantsville. Big Cottonwood can be fun also with throwing hoppers.

People usually smoke those whitefish. The Wanship area was the place where I caught my first fish on a fly. Right beneath rockport can be good with hoppers my uncle usually pulls browns out of there upward to 24"!! Seen it myself its insane how those chunky brownies devour those flies!
[signature]
Yes fish do eat in riffles time to time. Mountain Whitefish tastes great smoked. Deer Creek, Mantua, and the Uintas are great places to try your luck at the fairy wand.

Welcome to world of fly fishing, be prepared to give up all your money to the cause.
[signature]
The local ponds in the Salt Lake Valley are a great place to practice casting a fly rod. Might even catch a fish or two[Smile]
[signature]
One word of advice...

Fish the same two or three areas a lot. What that does is get you familiar with the workings of your set up. You'll notice that the indicator drops or hesitates in the same place every drift. Well that's a rock it's getting caught on and you learn what that looks like. Or it moves a little faster in one section well that's because your weight is not hitting the bottom and you learn what that looks like.

I believe you'll develop faster if you spend your first summer exploring you techniques than if you explore a dozen or more places to fish. But it is fun to fish different places so I am only making a suggestion.

If you ever want to hit the Weber together let me know.
[signature]
For newbies I suggest learning the Roll cast and Water Haul will save you some frustration as you get more confident and experience then start dry casting.

As mention earlier Urban ponds are a great place to practice Willow Pond in Murray is pretty wide open.

Mtn White fish are actually a salmonoid, a cousin to the Salmon or trout not trash fish. I've eating a few of them there kind of greasy I hear there better smoked but you could smoke a leather boot and it would be good [Wink]
[signature]
Agree with everything you said. Want to add however, Don't Forget The Bacon!

Great job Fish Stick. Keep exploring and try to remember what worked[laugh]
[signature]
Congrats on your first fish on a fly rod. Along with the vast knowledge of the long time BFT'rs, there are a couple books that I would recommend to a beginer or a seasoned vet. One book is "Flyfishers Guide to Utah" by James B. Demoux. This book contains advice on fishing almost every piece of water in the state. The second book that I really like is "The Little Red Book Of Fly Fishing" by Kirk Deeter and Charlie Meyers. It's not some long winded, complicated, boring read about fly fishing. It contains hundreds of short and to the point tips, and teachings in terms anyone could make sense of, on every aspect of fly fishing. Good luck.
[signature]
[quote fishinfudd]Congrats on your first fish on a fly rod. Along with the vast knowledge of the long time BFT'rs, there are a couple books that I would recommend to a beginer or a seasoned vet. One book is "Flyfishers Guide to Utah" by James B. Demoux. This book contains advice on fishing almost every piece of water in the state. The second book that I really like is "The Little Red Book Of Fly Fishing" by Kirk Deeter and Charlie Meyers. It's not some long winded, complicated, boring read about fly fishing. It contains hundreds of short and to the point tips, and teachings in terms anyone could make sense of, on every aspect of fly fishing. Good luck.[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY!!!!
[signature]