Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oops!
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
Easy does it there cowboy. Take a deep breath.

Obamacare does have a provision to charge medical device makers an excise tax, however, Cabelas listing the charging of an Obamacare tax for the excise taxes previously imposed on fishing equipment was a software error.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/medicaldevice.asp

The excise tax on fishing equipment has been around for a lot longer time than the Obama administration. based on how nicely it funds the DWR and wildlife, I say it is a good thing. Most hunters know about Pittman-Robertson, but here is an explanation from the DWR, posted on another thread about the fishing counterpart.

" The Dingle-Johnson Act was first passed in 1959 and provided an excise tax on fishing related equipment. An expansion of the act was passed in 1983 called the Wallup-Breaux Amendment which added a tax to motorboat fuel. Money from both taxes are accumulated into a trust fund for Sportfish Restoration and apportioned to the states using a formula of land area and number of fishing licenses sold. Currently, the state of Utah receives about 5.5-6 million dollars annually from this fund.

The money may only be used for the costs associated with sportfish management. Law Enforcement, native fish management, and many administrative costs are prohibited from charging to this money.

While I am on the subject of funding, I want to mention that money raised from fishing and hunting license fees are required by law to go to the Division of Wildlife Resources. Many people are under the impression that the money goes to the general fund where it competes with schools, roads, etc. This is not true. There is a provision in the Dingle-Johnson Act and a similar one in the Pitman-Robertson Act for Wildlife Restoration that requires license money go to the wildlife agency in each state.

I hope this information helps.

Paul Birdsey
Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources"

Say what you will about Obamacare, but it isn't messing up our fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for the clarification. I've known that for years about the fishing equipment tax and that it comes back to the states.[cool]
[signature]