Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neeed help buying a new rod/reel
Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to regular fishing as I am mainly a fly fisherman. I have had a cheapo Shakespeare Lake/Pond Rod. Specs are 6'0" Medium Action 6-12 lb line. The problem is that the reel is all rusted and barely works. I live in Willoughby, Ohio, 15 miles east of Cleveland and will be fishing the local lakes/ponds, but mainly the shores of Lake Erie. I want to be able to catch all the species there such as yellow perch, walleye, largemouth, crappie, and the steelhead during their runs to the rivers. Is this kind of rod good enough to the the job or what would be a good setup that will last me. Granted I am hoping not to spend an arm and a leg as I am mainly a fly fisherman, but I do want a rod that will get the job done and I want to get more into regular fishing. Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark
[signature]
I always point people in the direction of a medium action Ugly Stick. They are great rods, and only about 40 bucks.

For the reel, get a Penn all steel reel with a spare spool. Have one spool with your heavier line for the big jobs, and one spool with your lighter line for light tackle application. For what you're doing, a Penn Fierce would be fine, and they round around 60 bucks.
[signature]
Awesome thanks!
[signature]
I'm a big Shimano fan. Great warranty's on their rods and smooth action on their reels.
I have many Clarus rods from them and the Symetrie reel is great for the price. They last for years.
[signature]