Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Props
Which is better, two blades or three?
[signature]
They perform different functions, so both will work just fine depending on what kind of fishing you do, one is for speed the other is for power. So a two blade prop will push a light 12 or 14 ft Alum boat just fine but a three blade prop will do a better job of pushing a heavier 16 ft fiberglass boat because that boat weights more. There might be other factors to consider as well but the bottom line imo is will the motor you have work on your boat, pushing it at the speed you want it to go. Either prop will work depending on the boat, unless you already have both props, I would not buy an extra prop unless the one you have does not work to push your boat at the speed you want to go. I'm guessing this is for your trolling motor?
[signature]
Actially I was thinking it would be for the main 65 HP motor. Right now it's got a 2 blade prop.
[signature]
Wow, I've never seen a two blade prop on a main motor and did not know they used them on bigger motors. I have no idea how that would work to get you up on plain. You might have to talk to someone at a prop shop, unless someone else on the site knows about that[:/].
[signature]
Yeah I was wondering how it would work. My understanding is my father I law didn't have enough power to move around or something like that when he had it in the water. Since the boat is a 15' glass boat that was one of the areas I am looking at. Here's a couple of pics of the prop for those interested.
[signature]
Try calling the guy at Marine Prop in Clearfield, he really knows props on these older boats. His phone number is 801-825-1352. He use to sell props for $125, not sure now but it is worth a call.
[signature]
Thanks, I'll do that.
[signature]
You'll probably want to go to a 4 blade prop. At least I am fairly sure that is what the prop expert will tell you for a older motor/heavier boat application.
[signature]
So what are the advantages of a 4 blade prop to a three then?
[signature]
W4E might be right but the only boat I've even seen a 4 blade prop on, is a ski boat or a 21 ft bass boat. I tried calling Marine Prop buy the phone number does not work. Here is a link to their web site, it has a lot of good info about props: [url "http://www.marineprop.com/"]http://www.marineprop.com/[/url]
[signature]
Thanks again.
[signature]
Could you please post up what you find out about the 2 blade versus 3 blade prop? Like Wiperhunter, I've never seen a 2 blade on a motor over 10hp. I used to have a 1957 Johnson 10hp with a 2 blade prop. I also had a 3 blade prop for the same motor. I used the 2 blade for nothing but running around a small lake for fishing by myself and it was fast. The 3 blade prop did a much better job when I loaded the boat with decoys, shotgun, ammo, coolers, dogs and another hunter. The 2 blade prop would only cavitate when the boat was full of weight. That is my experience with 2 versus 3 blade props. That 2 blade prop on the 65 hp looks like a brass prop??
[signature]
I will post up a report. I will be meeting up with geezer tomorrow and will get his opinion on this as well.
[signature]
Never seen a 2 blade myself. What I have read on it is back in the "old" days people used them more for "race" applications since they were easier to work on/mod. A 3 blade is for overall performance. A 4 blade typically has more/better low end torque and better low speed maneuvering characteristics with a slight loss to overall top end speed. Why ski boats typically have a 4 or more blade props. Pure speed isn't as important on a ski boat. Getting out of the hole fast/quickly is and being able to maneuver quickly is. A 4 blade will also hold you better in a turn and be better on rough water.

My thought was... Older heavy boat/older motor. A 4 prop to help with getting it on plane would be the best overall performance option. One could go with a 3 and get the max speed but will be penalized elsewhere.

If you troll another question you might want to ask your prop guy is how a 3 verse 4 will affect your trolling speed.

I am taking a stab at this for info only. I have no direct personal dealings with stuff like this. Just what I have read over the last several years and how I comprehended that info.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. It is starting to look like the performance/power issue I was told about may be connected to the prop. I have two motors on this boat a 65 HP that has the two blade and a 6 HP with a two blade. I am definitely going to look at a three blade prop and see how it effects the issue at hand. I will stay with the 2 blade prop on the 6 HP for trolling.
[signature]
[quote BearLakeFishGuy]That 2 blade prop on the 65 hp looks like a brass prop??[/quote]

Looking at it up close today it does look like it is brass. Geezer told me it is a high speed prop and should get it going really good. Now we just got to get it put back together so I can get it on the water. [:/] Changed out the impellers today and the motors don't want to cooperate and go back togethe again.
[signature]