Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COLORS FOR BAITS AND LURES
[cool][size 2]The "official" poll for this week is about baits. I would like to toss out another question. How about colors for baits and lures? [/size]

[size 2]Most of us have had days when there was only one magic color. If you didn't use it, you zipped. And, I have seen that happen with natural baits and "bottle baits" as well as fancy lures and flies.[/size]

[size 2]I have my own little mental database I go through as the seasons change and the fish I am targeting are subject to changes in temperature, water clarity and light conditions. I also factor in what I think their primary forage might be, if I want to "match the hatch".[/size]

[size 2]Without going through a whole litany of plastics, spoons, spinners, hardbaits and flies, I'll just be generalized...with a little nod to species differences.[/size]

[size 2]As a general rule, I follow the old adage that you use light colors for clear water and bright conditions...whites or silvers. In cold and/or stained water, I start with darker colors...blacks, browns, dark olive, motor oil, purple, etc. And, I use a brass or copper blade rather than nickle.[/size]

[size 2]In really cold water, when the fish are sluggish, I fish the hot colors...chartreuse and hot pink. And, I fish them slow and steady.[/size]

[size 2]For trout, it has been my observation that whites and silvers...including some red and or blue...are favored by rainbows. Browns, cutts and brookies will hit those colors too, but usually respond better to yellows, blacks and golds. Although I have caught lots of hefty bows on black wooly buggers and jigs with a bit of red flashabou mixed in.[/size]

[size 2]Largemouth bass, and some smallies, will often smack anything that resembles a crawdad...in size, color and action. But, crawdads can be different colors in different waters. If you are not sure, go with a black jig with some blue, purple or chartreuse mixed in. Solid dark greens or motoroil are also good. Straight purple is hard to beat on many waters. Don't know why, but largies are programmed to eat purple.[/size]

[size 2]White bass, perch, sunfish, walleyes and other minnow-feeding species will smack small spinners and spoons of either gold or silver...adhering to the standards of water clarity and temperature. They will also eat a lot of jigs in colors from white, to yellow to black to chartreuse to hot pink. If you can find em, you can usually hook them.[/size]

[size 2]Final word. Purple is an overlooked color for both trout and walleye. I use either straight purple or a combo of black and purple...especially in early season. Black tailed wooly buggers with a purple body can be dynamite. The same fly or jig with a dark red (claret) body is also a winner.[/size]

[size 2]Let's hear it on colors.[/size]
[signature]
Hey there TubeDad, long time no see your colors. hee hee. You know my favorite and I'll just go ahead and share it with the others.

I have noticed that in the warmer months at my local pond, the largies are purple freaks. No other colors will entice them at that time. Unless like you said, the current craw colors for that body of water.

As I have ventured farther north, the smallies in Central CA really like the pumkin seed color which is the color of the crawdads for that time of the year. They also go for the blackish red which is another color scheme of the 'dads' in that area.

On the other hand, the blue gills up north like a black rooster tail or a jig with a crawler tip up.

The local blue gills like the black rooster tails and jig with a waxie tip up.

The trout on the other hand have a vast variety of enticements. You know as well as I do that the native trout are best on a variety of colors of flies. It would be hard to pin them down to just one single color or pattern although there are some generic patterns that work on a variety of species of the trout family.

In this particular neck of the woods, even the planters as well as the holdovers and some of the natives will favor the green nightcrawlers.

Cats on the other hand like the stinky stuff. Since they are primarily scent not site feeders. Some cats will feed by site in clear water conditions but they will submit more to the smell of the object rather than only the appearance.[Wink]
[signature]