Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What "X" tippet do you use?
What X do you use for say a #16 bead head hares ear? I went nymphing for the first time in quite sometime (I am mostly a lake man) and couldn't bring any fish to the net with 5X. It's all I had on me at the time.

What's the highest or make that lowest you can go and still get the action you need on size 16 or even 18 flies?
[signature]
Nymphing, I use 4X but always Fluorocarbon. Surgeon Loop so the fly can move.
[signature]
5x nylon for nymphing and 6x for most of my dries.
I havnt needed to go below 5x in Utah really unless your chasing pike and stuff
[signature]
I'm like fg where I mostly use flouro. I use 4x for streamers and 5x for nymphing and 6x for dries. I tried using 7x and it was just me getting pissed off and snapping knots all day. I like 6x flouro for dries because you don't have to worry about the perfect mend as much, and you don't have to use as much Tippett (especially on a furled leader) Plus all those folks who say the flouro sinks and will pull your fly underwater are wrong, if you use gink and cast off the water it will float just fine. Even on a 22 griffiths. Using invisible line only seems to make sense. And the cost isn't that much more than mono. You can buy the sportsmans brand for $6.99 or buy a larger spool of trilene 4lb for about $12. Just my two cents
[signature]
Streamers - 4x with a loop knot

Nymphs - 5x, sometimes fluro if fishies are picky (like I ever Nymph.. )

Terrestrials - 5x Fluro - Loop Knot

Drys - 5,6 or 7. Depends on fishies and bug size.

Steelies - 30 lb Fluro shock tippet set up.
[signature]
I was talking stillwater, but if we are elaborating, the Yes I use 5X on rivers and dries 6X
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I was talking stillwater, but if we are elaborating, the Yes I use 5X on rivers and dries 6X[/quote]

Stillwater - Isn't that what's left in my glass after I drink the scotch and the 2 or 3 ice cubes melt?
[signature]
Why ruin YOUR alcohol with ice[shocked]
[signature]
4X Umpqua Super Floro - Tough as nails for nymphing rivers.

Streamers 1X or 0X -
3X or less - Big Browns, Tigers and Rainbows will break your line.
[signature]
I use 6x for dries with the occasional use of 7x. For nymphs mostley 5x or 6x. I have been using mono but i have played with flouro and didnt like it. I had a hard time with my knots breaking. Any knot tips from all that are using flouro?

Mark
[signature]
I use Mirage, Rio Fluoro, Cortland Fluoro and never had a problem with knots.
[signature]
I use Umpqua Super Floro and tie the improved clinch knot. The 4X has amazing knot strength.
[signature]
See the thread on fluoro vs Nylon. I use a five-turn uni-uni to connect fluoro to mono and a Davy knot to connect fluoro to fly. Any fly. You wouldn't think that Davy knot would hold, but it does.

Forgot to say: 5X for almost all nymphs, same for larger dries, and 7X for really tiny dries/nymphs.
[signature]
When nymphing or bottom bouncing Ive always used 4 & 5x. Heres a handy dandy tippet cheat sheet

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=2202

7 & 8x I reserve for easily spooked fish for small dries #20 & smaller.
[signature]
These are all great suggestions on tippet size. Here are some of my thoughts. The number 1 reason for justifying $15 on 30 yds. of tippet is strength to diameter ratio. One of the best ways to get better drifts and for your flies to act more natural is with thinner line. There are other benefits as well, such as when nymphing, and you are trying to get deep fast, thinner diameter sinks quicker. Of course, with thinner diameter you sacrifice strength, hence the benefit of quality fluoro. Generally, however I go with the thickest I can get away with. One of the streams I fish, I can get away with 3x all day, every day. I don't even use a taper. Just 6-8 ft of 3x. Other places I may have to taper down to 5-6 X. Most often however, I usually start with 4X, and I let the conditions and fish dictate the rest. I don't really consider weather or not I think the fish can see the line, for me its all about strength to diameter ratio. Not all fluoro is created equal, the good stuff is spendy.
[signature]
I totally agree not all Fluoro is equal. Berkley Vanish falls very short. While at Henry's Lake, I used 6 lb as I always use. First three fish break off, so O tie on 8 lb Vanish, next two break off, then 10 lb, next ONE broke off. Hubby gave me some 6lb P-Line and I landed every fish there on out.
Now you could say bad batch, but fluorocarbon has no shelf life so to speak and three different weights.

I can also see not using a tapered leader if you are nymphing or streamer fishing. For me, Tapered leader is for presentation, which is a must with dries and LONG leaders.

I guess I am like you on strength thing. My hubby and I were on the river, he was using 6X as that is what was on from dry fly action. He lost so many flies to current and subtle takes and he uses full flex rods. Tied on some 4X and he was gold.
[signature]
Here's a question... If flouro is invisible to fish could you use 5x on dries? I seem to be losing to many flies lately on 6x ( obviously i need to work on my knots) and was just curious what folks thought. I have used it before but I just cant figure out if its better or worse as far as catch rate. Maybe it doesn't make a difference.
[signature]
ive used it before but I also think it comes down to the brand aswell, ive got big trout on 6x flouro of one brand pretty consistently without many issues and then I have had times where 6x of another brand just didn't seem as durable. im an Umpqua guy all the way when it comes to tippet and leaders.
[signature]
i agree... I just bought a spool of the sportsmans 6x flouro and that crap just snaps on every backcast. I will look into umqua. Thanks!
[signature]
yeah for sure, Umpqua wont leave you disappointed, decent price too.
[signature]